Most Annoying Thing About Playing on OGS?

Not annoyed by anything (even though I wish that a slider would allow one to go through the moves of correspondence games, as typing the forward and back arrows is slow and triggers the zoom in iOS’s Safari).

Now, what prevents me from contributing financially is that I always prefer to contribute in kind (not that I have done that much for OGS yet). :slight_smile:

PS: Now I am annoyed by the uselessly big user info boxes during a (correspondance) game (http://cl.ly/image/2W1j030J103Z). I get a very bad feeling when I see a design choice that replaces meaningful information (chat/Malkovich box) with empty space. I would love it if my dear OGS made a more efficient and meaningful use of this precious screen real estate, by using much smaller user info boxes (as small as possible).

Not a huge annoyance but I dislike they way that when you check the score estimator or the game analyzer, the “back to game” button is right on top of the “pass” button so that you can accidentally double click and pass your turn.

1 Like

The reason I haven’t donated (one-time or monthly) is because you don’t accept bitcoin. As soon as you accept bitcoin i’ll donate monthly.

Here is one option that may be nice if the developers of OGS are operating in the United States. (However there are many alternatives - I just found one of the first examples I could):
https://developers.coinbase.com/docs/merchants/payment-buttons

I’m pretty sure you could just link the same bank account that collects the donations you already receive to Coinbase, and then you can have bitcoin donations automatically exchanged to USD and deposited in that bank account.

You asked for one thing per person. I speak with the voices of three, so I’ll give you three problems

The most horrifying design flaw is how it handles on mobile devices. A couple of my professors have tried to play here, but due to limitations on their computers, they’re confined to tablets and phones to get in a good game. The problem is, the number of ways the game breaks when the site is accessed from a mobile platform has driven them from the site completely. When I went to access an sgf in the library on the website to review with friends, I nearly tossed in the towel as well. I ended up having to guess every move for one side, because only one side’s moves would show up. Occasionally, I’d get a quarter of a stone to appear. Sometimes notifications would force the whole of everything to re-size ungracefully. Further, if the phone switched aspect ratios, all hell broke loose on both the board and the layout.

Regardless of platform, I’ve had overlapping UI issues with the notification menu and the friends list. They can’t be open at the same time, and one must be manually closed to facilitate the other. Small complaint, and nothing to leave the site over. It still adds to a list, though. Two fixes exist: Have the menus give each other space, or have one close the other and visa versa when opened. Others have already elaborated enough on the overlap issues with PMs.

Outside of the layout, I can say that I’ve been frustrated more than once with games that I expected would last endlessly breaking down and losing to time. I say the game lost to time because neither I nor my opponent were happy that it ended in those cases. Most of my correspondence games have this flaw. It looks like only two have managed to be made successfully perpetual.

Finally, I suppose my biggest issue is the site’s continues breakdown when using Chrome. I’m not sure why this is happening, but I can on occasion see queries instead of player-lists. It becomes impossible to create games or challenge others to games. Somehow, I can still accept them. It’s annoying to say the least. I hate opening other browsers when I can avoid it, so I tend to just leave when those errors kick up after clearing cookies and cache. Sometimes it reoccurs in days. Sometimes it reoccurs in minutes. I have no idea what the trigger is.

The three problems: Mobile platform is broken, UI overlapping is annoying, and the site’s instability on Chrome is problematic. Of these, the first and last are the most tantalizing, and the first and second, like the second, overlap.

While none of these issues are prone to making me leave the site permanently, some have caused me to disappear for a week or so at a time. I also have to mention that those professors have left the site, and they have no intent to return unless those issues are rectified. As far as donations go, I don’t have much money to spare, so unless all of these issues are resolved, I can’t justify any expense towards the site. It’d be worthwhile to have a single place to consolidate all of my games, and that can’t be done if these issues are causing friends to quit the server.

Apologies for the long-winded response.

1 Like

I’d like to see more features/refinement for the puzzles as well!

If stone placement bug on mobile devices is high on your pet peeves, you may want to help with beta testing to get this fixed:

2 Likes

Hell yeah! Thanks for the link!

1 Like

When I have mobile internet with moderate bandwidth, the connection to the site is poor. The last few months it was impossible to play blitz games most of the time, and I have timed out of some live games as well, although rarely. This is certainly the most important issue for me and I wonder if it isn’t possible to have a setting for poor bandwidth that does not check on announcements and stuff or whatever eats up bandwidth. It shouldn’t be hard to communicate “Your opponent played on tengen” without using too much bandwidth.

Estimator almost unusable

1 Like

How this? You know that the estimator can only … estimate? And if there are holes in any player’s borders, this becomes pure speculation.

I mean it can’t estimate current position when you revieving or analise, also it calc really bad, much worse than KGS. What makes it worse - it starts to glich time to time, not allowing you to exist estimate mode. Just try to use it (regardless how accurate it is)

1 Like

I stopped playing on iPad.

But I like OGS very much, it looks very nice and can be used in full screen mode with the maximum board size possible. I wished there is a brighter dark mode. Sometimes it’s to dark for me.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.