Moving OGS Forward

Ah, that explains it. I’ve subscribed some 4-5 days ago.

Those can be considered as firefox + regular adblock for most purposes… although Google tends to think otherwise :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thx for all the good work, ads or not, my support all the way .

9 Likes

I am really disappointed. I thought ads on OGS could work. I wanted to support the devs. OGS was a place I liked so why not disable adblock.

The first ad that really annoyed me was for some stupid flash game that cost 4,99 per week. Felt like a trap for school kids.

Then the ads increased not only the banner on top but also on the sides.
OGS was the only website I saw ads on the internet and I didn’t like it. It was distracting, annoying and it felt like an invasion. I felt betrayed because one banner ad was apparently not enough. So almost on autopilot I activated adblock on my main computer again.

I thought it was still okay since I saw ads on my smartphone. But today I activated adblock on my smartphone again. Roughly measured: 44% on my smartphone display were ads. 16% the part I wanted to click on. The rest is UI, etc. That is too much and very annoying.

The good feeling from the beginning is gone. I don’t longer care about supporting the devs. These couple of days really reminded me how bad the internet with ads was. Right now I feel angry. I don’t want to call it greed but having more ads on the starting page than “content” leaves a bad feeling.
Ads are not the solution! They are a cancer. OGS should find a different way.

Well, I’m beginning to be annoyed by the ads as well, so I made my mind and I will become a supporter.

My question to the devs is: How much of my say $ 1 a month (or $ 5, or $ 10 if there’s a difference) gets to you? In other words, how expensive is the transaction provider?

2 Likes

When using a credit card directly there’s currently no transaction fee as the first $50k are free through our payment processor, Braintree - but if someday we exceed that amount then it’ll be 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. For PayPal it’s 5% + $0.05 per transaction.

5 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: OGS growth

how do I get in the payment processor business? wow. I didn’t realize how much they get per transaction.

Yeah, it’s more the credit card business that’s a racket, they take the lions share. At least there is competition in the payment processing business…

I’d gladly pay $15 or maybe even $20 per year to be a “supporter” of OGS, but the $5/month ($60 per year) is far too much. And no, I won’t stop using Adblock.
OGS is a very nice site and I appreciate it and would pay a little bit for it, but you have to realize that you’re competing against “free”.

You can move that slider all the way left and subscribe for $1/month.

9 Likes

Is it possible to pay yearly instead of monthly and still be a “supporter”?

Hello guys,

what is up with this Topic? Is there a new statement from the team?
I thought the advertisment would push OGS, but the last patch was 2015 … . Did I miss something or is OGS frozen?

If you get not enough money, you should increase the manpower. Here are enought ppl who could help.

Greetings

2 Likes

We’re still trucking on! Advertising is doing good (and a huge thanks to our Supporters!). A lot of work has been focusing on our backend infrastructure and hasn’t been very user facing. AlphaGo showed us where some of our scalability weaknesses were. We’ll be wrapping that up soon and then we have some really exciting user facing features coming up! Stay tuned!

9 Likes

Since this is on the front page again, and specifically isn’t the place where we bug you guys to open source OGS, is there some place that is? Or should I create something at /r/baduk or something?

Hi!

There’s some good news!

Just to spill my guts, though: I was considering cancelling my support, because I haven’t seen any progress (not without proper whining on the forum beforehand, but somebody asked before me). It’s not much, but it is everything I can spare on regular basis. However, when I’m paying you I get the sense that I can demand to see some progress (I can’t find milder words, sorry).
I would be very much content if there was a notice in the change log (or a social media stream) that you’ve worked on this and that, especially if it is infrastructure-back-end-under-the-hood-magic thing I can not see. I understand it takes time, but you should understand it should be communicated to your (paying) users that you are not drinking Glengoolie Black on some sandy beach, but working hard.

Sorry for ranting, but I thought this should be said aloud.

3 Likes

OGS is still growing. The increased number of users means more time for support and bugfixing too, or am i wrong? (Thanks to Alphago).
Do you need more programmers? OGS needs to show some functions befor KGS is fighting back. I rly like OGS, thats why I am writing here. Just think up on a mix of backend and frontend work on the same time. I dont want to lose it, coz of inactivity or missing communication to the community. Don’t get me wrong, but a message about “A lot of work has been focusing on our backend infrastructure” is what we want, too.

Just thought about the possible techingmode. This would rock the block. If you need help, ask us. We are here to help, not to blame you.

Greetings

1 Like

It’s quite true there hasn’t been much visible progress as of late, but we have actually been quite busy! The big thing I’m working on at the moment is rearchitecting our backend to be able to support multiple game server locations around the globe presented as one unified system. Along with this primary goal, a lot of systemic long outstanding bugs are finally being addressed (random timeouts, notification problems, some lag issues), and preparing us for some long requested features (much better game list and searching support, some better challenge mechanisms).

So sorry it’s seemed slow, but bear with us, it’s a big change set :slight_smile:

• anoek
18 Likes

Thanks, this is enought for me. Just hold us on the line, we’re interested in your work, and the progress of OGS.

Greetings

3 Likes

Same here. Thank you.

2 Likes

This is more then 1 year ago. Now that adds and suporters bring some money in. (and beside the server moving in may/april(?) …is there anything changed?

(or did I understand something wrong?)