Muting Topics (and dismissing topics/posts see post 25)

Seems like a bug, or at least a good suggestion for a design improvement.

4 Likes

Done. Another site, another account, usual password too short. I am either an eternal optimist or a fool. https://meta.discourse.org/t/muted-topics-still-notifying-me-on-meta/40124/6

5 Likes

using the same or similar password for more than one site is asking for trouble…

[ my current PW manager, can recommend ]

[ How Password Managers Work - Computerphile ]

7 Likes

I was already using KeePassX, but I might switch over. I notice in the Bitwarden FAQs that it can import that data, so…

4 Likes

FWIW, I recently switched to BW from LastPass and had no trouble exporting and importing my data over

4 Likes

See also: General password security talk

6 Likes

[:japanese_ogre:]
I don’t understand the “or” part.
[/:japanese_ogre:]

7 Likes

If I mute a topic but someone @ me, quotes me or replies to a post I made long ago, will I be notified?

No, you will not be notified.

1 Like

It’s exactly the difference between “Normal” and “Muted”

2 Likes

Muted also doesn’t appear in latest.
I would like topics to not appear in latest but know if someone @ me. I guess there’s not a distinction, though.

6 Likes

You could make a suggestion for that. Although that might be the forum software, not the OGS side.

2 Likes

This would very much be the forum software, but the good news is its community-oriented, so they’re always taking suggestions!

6 Likes

For some reason, I feel like it’s a good time to remind people of the “Topic Muting” feature of these forums. I wouldn’t want anyone to feel annoyed.

:game_die:

4 Likes

nonononono

don’t be that person. We want to be heard and loud!

Not silent and shut up by being muted.

Tbh I don’t really care much for some threads but I recommend muting a thread instead of a topic if you were to mute something.

1 Like

I muted “forum games” and didn’t notice anything going on with dice so that was a win!

Topic is synonymous with thread here.

However, muting an entire category is possible as well.

Maybe I missed it in this thread, but a topic/post can be dismissed.
This can be applied to a new topic and an unread topic post.

When you click you see this screen:

In the right corner there is a dismiss button. Clicking will show

UNREAD TOPIC POST

An unread post in a topic/thread can also be dismissed with and without the option to stop following the topic/thread.

When you click unread (1) you see:

In the right corner there is a dismiss button. You can click dismiss with or without stop tracking.

The phrase

so they never show up again as unread for me again

should not be taken too literally. If you decide to spend four minutes reading that topic, you will be again notified if new posts occur on that topic.

5 Likes

But dice are great!

And spam games have happened in general before.

Also I spend lots of time in the forum games section on here.

Oh I just knew thread so then I thought the topic was just the bigger category.

People do have the freedom to speak, within reasonable limits.

However, people should also have the freedom to not listen.

3 Likes