My favorite language is clearly the best and all others are horrible because

I am relatively fluent in C and Python (the key term being relatively), at least much more so than JavaScript. That being said, I really like Python for not being as syntax-picky as C, even though it is a bit slower.

I say this being a huge Python fan, but Python’s dynamic typing is both a huge strength an a huge weakness, depending on what you’re doing, how in depth it is, and how careful you are about runtime type safety. Fortunately, type hinting should fix that, but I haven’t played around with it. I was a slow convert to 3.x.

I also don’t love that it’s whitespace delimited, but meh, I’ve already gotten over it.

3 Likes

Is VS Code considered a text editor? Seems functional enough to be considered an IDE

I did use it for the first time this weekend (writing my first contribution to OGS!!!)

3 Likes

To be fair, 0.1 + 0.2 == 0.3 is false in a lot of languages.

But also relevant: Bug report: Komi behaving weirdly in certain games

2 Likes

Honorable mention: Object Pascal

I thought IDE is a subset of “text editor”.
If it isn’t then Notepad++.

Congrats on your contribution! As we say around here: gl hf

2 Likes

Favorite language is java because its boring. Every other language I have to deal with at work is a complete trainwreck in some aspects but java just kinda works and the libraries available for it are all boring as well

3 Likes

Bogosort

EDIT: oh wait wrong thread

1 Like

Ruby! :grin: :heart: :gem:

9 Likes

Mathematica :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On the topic of sorting algorithms, I can do you one better: https://www.thecshandbook.com/Miracle_Sort

3 Likes

:heart: my first exposure to programming!

:joy: Devin one day you’re going to get bitten by the programming bug!

1 Like

C#, mostly because it feels so comfortable after using it for over 15 years for most of my work.

2 Likes

I use that and VScode (with the vim extension, of course) depending. I also have an odd keyboard layout, but never bothered to change the vim keys, so hjkl is where vbpw is on Qwerty. :smiley: You get used to it. On the plus side, i is on the home row. :smiley:

1 Like

And more on topic: has anyone tried Rust? I haven’t, but from what I’ve seen it looks intriguing.

1 Like

which keyboard layout has h on the top row? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

You mean bottom row? Arensito.

QL,P'  /FUDK
ARENB  GSITO
ZW.HJ  VCYMX

no…

top row:
qwertyuiop

But there’s no v there? v is on the bottom in Qwerty, right where h goes in Arensito.