New and learning. Got?

Hi,

I was playing another beginner and we thought I was crushing him. To our surprise, after we both passed, I lost by a ton of points. No clue why.

Can someone look at the final board and explain the reason I lost??? Played white.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

The game was scored incorrectly. All of the white stones have been erroneously marked as dead (and hence counted as territory and captures for black), while in fact they should all be considered alive.

Also, the game was not quite over, since both players should want to play F1 in order to maximize their points (however, this would not have made a big enough of a difference to change what should have been the outcome, a white win). C4 is also an unresolved ko, and J3 is in atari (should eventually be either captured or connected to living stones).

5 Likes

Thank you so much. Learning to complete the board is my next challenge.

3 Likes

See also Scoring Phase in the OGS documentation.

2 Likes

Can a mod fix the scoring of that game so it is a white win?

1 Like

Nope, but it can be annulled

2 Likes

How do you resolve the ko at c3?

Black could play in C4 to connect its stones.

If black doesn’t do it, white could play C4 to capture the black stone in D4. Now it’s black turn and the white stone in C4 would be atari, but black cannot re-capture it immediately due to the Ko rule. So black has to play elsewhere, and white can now play in D4 to connect its stones.

3 Likes

Thank you. So either way one of us has to connect our stones to finish the ko? That would make sense

3 Likes

Yes. The point is that this ko is an opportunity for white to get +1 point (by capturing black stone, and then resolving the ko). So this opportunity should either be denied by black, or taken by white, but leaving it unresolved means there is still a point to be made on the board.

2 Likes

Now I understand. Much appreciated.

1 Like