New game: Advanced Square Lifeline

This game feels like Go from another planet to me. :smiley:

The key rule is this: a group is captured if there is no path of connected empty points between that group and any other group of its color. The path does not need to be a straight line.

Full rules and more in a BoardGameGeek thread. You can also replay the above game with the EidoGo viewer.

5 Likes

Here is another session for good measure:

4 Likes

That looks interesting, interested in /suggest-ing it on the AP Discord Server?

1 Like

That’s like a new way to look on go so i find it really interesting. Kind of thing that doesn’t happen often. I guess i ll spend a bit of my time later on this.

3 Likes

Hello LuisB,

this is an interesting idea, I like it! If you are interested in go variants, maybe you’ll be interested to hear that members of this forum have started a project about it: https://forums.online-go.com/t/collective-development-of-a-server-for-variants/

Would it be okay if I implement this game as a variant there?

Kind regards,
Martin

1 Like

I wonder if using a Go rule set and just changing the capture rule like this would make an interesting game. Maybe the other rules are not important.

2 Likes

Yeah

That would be more than okay! Thank you for your interest. I would love to see my game there. It’s now called Asli, and the official rules (slightly updated since I started this thread) are here: Asli | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

That’s basically what the game is. But, importantly, the ko rule is also replaced with an alternative “incursion rule” that better fits the capture mechanism. This rule prevents forced cycles without the need to remember previous positions.

Also, for aesthetic reasons, the game uses Berlekamp’s prisoner return rule in lieu of traditional scoring.

Done!

3 Likes

It got approved for voting, feel free to upvote, everyone

1 Like