New player

Hi new player here really tired of loosing :slight_smile: Is there a high ranked player around willing to play a correspondence game or two to teach? Also can anyone good reading material for beginners to learn correctly? Thanks in advance.

For beginners I recommend:
ā€˜Go, A Complete Introduction to the Gameā€™ by Cho Chikun and
ā€˜Graded Go Problems for Beginners Vol 1ā€™

As an aside, I credit ā€˜Fundamental Principles of Goā€™ for lifting me from DDK to SDK and for adjusting to the full-size board but thatā€™s for later.

I donā€™t know about ā€˜high rankedā€™. As SDK I just have an even bigger sense of how staggeringly large my ignorance is butā€¦

Iā€™d be happy to play a ā€˜Malkovichā€™ 9x9 correspondence game with you which is where the comments only become visible after the game. Allows me to get a sense of what you do and donā€™t know before I start flapping my lips. If you like that idea send me a pm and Iā€™ll set it up.

I looked at one of your games, and my very first advice is to just pay attention.

If you keep your stones separated, black will cut (black E6).
If you play a stone with one liberty, black captures (white A9).
If you let black play 5 moves without replying, donā€™t be surprised if you end up being captured (black L2, L3, N2, M1, A2).

You missed a great opportunity to take the lead at move 64. If you count the liberties, black has 3 and white has 3. White G2 wins the race.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Welcome to Go and on OGS.

You can send me a challenge. (9x9 unranked, time settings as you like, title ā€œteaching gameā€ or something equally telling)
We can talk about why a move is bad and where you should focus.

It should get better if youā€™re playing against fellow 25k player.

You donā€™t need a high ranked teacher. Higher should be sufficient. Iā€™m not even sure at which rank one starts to think ā€œMy rank is highā€ :wink:

I donā€™t know if itā€™s good, but at least itā€™s free
http://tigersmouth.org/downloads/RiverMtnGo-30k-20k.pdf

You can also look at Play Go Online Game - Cosumi. Itā€™s a beginner tutorial, teaching the rules and some basics.

2 Likes