"No-shows" in ASTs (was "Abandoners in ASTs)

Yes, my point was about the issue, actually, and not meant as a personal attack, sorry if it appeared like that.

Let me clarify what I meant. As @Eugene established above there are two distinct problems with the tournament games:

• There’s people who don’t show up, for various reasons, when a tournament game starts. This is naturally problematic.
  • Then there’s people who resign games because their opponent doesn’t show up, which transfers the problem of abandoned games to the next round.

In my personal opinion, the first is a serious problem that should be fixed globally by making the start of tournament games more noticeable. It should be mentioned that revamping (the back-end part of) the tournament system is already quite high up the priority list. I’m not involved with coding, but I would guess that it may be possible to create a more visible notification system using just the front-end, so this could happen sooner. (However, if the system is revamped anyways, it’s dubious whether this would be worth the time and effort)

The second is a different kind of problem that can be solved either by two things: bringing down the number of absentees, which falls back to the first problem, or holding people who resign games because they don’t wish to wait for the timeout timer to tick down accountable for bringing people who should’ve been disqualified to the second or even third round of a tournament.

In my opinion, this is a difficult matter, which falls perfectly in a grey area. As far as moderation is concerned, I wouldn’t really know what the best option is here. If it were me personally playing in a tournament, I would feel the responsibility of waiting for my opponent to time-out, so that they would be disqualified (hence my previous post).

3 Likes

I don’t play ASTs but doesn’t a no show get a disconnection timer so max wait is 5 mins. If not then they should right? Would that be a bug or a first move exception for some reason?
Also, if the disconnection timer is running at least the opponent would then know that person is not connected and could maybe then consider it somewhat safer to move on themselves if they don’t mind taking the risk of reconnection. Presumably if both players are disconnected the one whose turn it is will lose.

Otherwise, maybe they are just having trouble navigating from the tourney page to the game page (presumably not a disconnection trigger but maybe I’ve answered my own question above) and waiting is the correct, if painful, thing to do.

1 Like

Good questions.

It’s 5 minutes if the opponent is really offline and you have to wait the full game time + byo-yomi if the player is connected but ignoring you.

This can happen very often. You register to a tourney and have to wait 30mn for it to start. You go watch tv or something and forget about the tourney.

This doesn’t mean waitting 5 minutes is less annoying. When 5 people are absent from the tourney, the rest has to wait 25 minutes.

I’m not saying all these people are malicious. I think they’re just careless.

Sadly I’m starting to think like others have clumsily said above. There’s no solution to this. This is life :man_shrugging:

Only automatic tournaments are subject to this and it happens so often that it makes AT unplayable.

I didn’t say there are no solution myself. It’s not necessary to give 30 mn; there are other time settings to consider.

Because it seems not obvious as I see it, sorry for that you just fix a time setting which won’t allow these abuse ( mean or not)

Like 2mn to join and main time then Canadian X moves in Y time, or Fisher 20s/move adding to main to some limit…
You get a little bit more pressure as classic byo yomi but it’s a small sacrifice to be made to keep the AST alive and safe.

2 Likes

TBH i haven’t played in ogs’s live tournaments for a while now. Largely because the combination of no-shows and bye’s. Its quite annoying to get a no-show on your first round, and then multiple bye’s after that.
I dont know how to fix it, maybe not giving more than 1 bye for any single user in case of odd number of players would help a bit? At worst i’ve had an AST where i wasnt able to play for 3 rounds, experiences like those have made me little bit afraid of live AST’s :confused:

1 Like

I’ve had one as well where I only played one game and all the rest were opponents timing out.

At least it was blitz though and it was only a couple of short rounds to wait.