OGS doesn't alert when connection is dropped

I have lost a few games that I was otherwise winning because my network connection went down and I didn’t know it. If the other player has way more time left than me, and I have just submitted a move successfully, and my connection goes down while the other player is thinking, then I OGS doesn’t provide any indication when my connection goes down. Instead, my opponents clock keeps ticking down. In the real world (that I’m not connected to) he makes a move, and then I time out, without knowing it.

I’ve looked at other threads that say it’s the responsibility of the player to maintain his or her connection. That’s fine, I agree with that. But I think it would be nice if the local OGS client running in my browser would alert me when it can’t connect to the server for a few seconds. This way I will know to run and kick my modem to try to get back online in time to not lose the game I’m winning. :smile:

Would it be possible for the client to check for a connection and alert the user if disconnected?

Thanks!
Mark

3 Likes

Happened to me again just now. Anyone else experience this?

Is it related to recent lag or unstable server in last several days?

Because of that, I stopped playing live/blitz recently. I am scared to loss due to this.

No, I have an unreliable connection. Even so, it would be nice for the local client (running in my browser) to try to ping now and then and when it discovers a lack of response from the server alert me that I’m offline… (so I can go kick my router).