OGS is proud to host Shape Up!

@timuzhti Can you try this link: https://cdnbeta.online-go.com/shape_up.pdf and see if it works any better for you?

4 Likes

The CDN beta link works for me. I’ve checked in Chrome and Firefox, and the old link still doesn’t work, but https://cdnbeta.online-go.com/shape_up.pdf does.

3 Likes

Also for me.

3 Likes

Same here.

3 Likes

Now available in print:

https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=237416#p237416

The price is good, nice cover, print quality and binding also fine, but pls see the linked thread for critical remarks. It seems that there are some font problems in the PDF which manifest in painfully bad kerning.

4 Likes

Yoink!

I’ve had the PDFs for ages but honestly I struggle with them. This is a nice thing, hooray for Prime :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So someone posted blurry cellphone photos to document bad kerning in a book.

:face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Well, those photos there in the L19 forum were not from me, and they don’t show the bad kerning.

The book, OTOH, I hold in my hands … wait … while I don’t have time nor patience to make proper scans, I just made a few blurry (and distorted!) cellphone photos to document bad kerning in a book:

Click (and pls accept my apology for the bad photo quality)

IMG_2274

IMG_2275

IMG_2276

IMG_2280

IMG_2279

IMG_2277

This last image shows the mixed quality of the diagrams. The left one still is readable, but one must WANT to read it.
IMG_2278

NOTE 1: In the PDF the titles/headlines look OK on my computer, maybe because I have thousands of fonts installed, and luckily also the one used for the titles? Must be Futura or something.

NOTE 2: I’m still happy to have this book in printed form, but as an avid reader and as a prepress professional my eyes and my heart bleed when I see this. Hope to bring myself to read it nevertheless, though.

Or maybe I should wait until I can retire, and then typeset the whole document new … to work on a book is anyway the best way for me to learn its content.

6 Likes

Hm, last time I tried to hide pictures in a ‘details’ tag all it produced was text. It seems it’s possible after all! Now I can make more subtle secret memeposts.

And yes, that’s kerning that even I would classify as terrible. Is that purely a font type mishap or did they first import to epub and then woefully port to their printing format? Something sure went wrong there.

4 Likes

The PDF looks like those pictures on my PC. I understand that installing the proper fonts might fix the text, but why are the diagrams messed up? Odd that the line width is inconsistent.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Useful Hints For Using This Forum

Apart from the bad kerning, the book is actually huge!
Original size of Shape Up! was about an A5 page, while this is printed in A4 size.

The cover seems nice and the spine is quite solid, as also pointed out in L19.

3 Likes

My copy has arrived and yes, the A4 format was surprising but I really like it! I have “go diagram aphasia” and having big pictures helps my poor middle-aged brain.

4 Likes

Just made the 1000th click on the link to the PDF in the original post.

8 Likes

:cookie:

5 Likes

Congratulations on finally getting the Good Topic (50 likes) badge for this last week.

Only the sixteenth ever!

(also bumping excuse)

4 Likes

I wonder why this page comes up in the 12th place instead of right on top when I search the forum for “shape up” :open_mouth:
Is there something we can do about this?

2 Likes

At least it’s a search not Google so I am ok with it (can’t use Google)

THE BOOK HAS BEEN UPDATED

Here is the updated download link:

I just edited the top post to fix the link

5 Likes

closing so that conversation can continue on the thread regarding the updated version of the work.