OGS rank histogram

I made dis:

Click on it for bigger resolution.

I downloaded some active players (I hope I didn’t make server sad with my requests) and plotted number of players for each rank.

Blue bars include all players.

Green bars represent only stable ranks (deviation < 100).

Orange curve is just outline for stable ranks.

Percents on the bottom show percent of the players weaker than certain rank (or exactly percent of weaker players + half of equal players), based on stable ranks.

So If you’re 32k or weaker, you’re roughly stronger than 0% of the server. If you get to 19k, you can beat 10% of the players. 10k is a median here. SDK players can brag about being stronger than most of the players. And dans are gods.

Props to 41k for keeping playing.

Awesome!

How many players did you sample? It looks like only a few thousand? Aren’t there many more active accounts on this site? How did you select which ones to sample?

As long as they were randomly and independently selected (easily done with any bot / code) he only needs 20+ samples for statistically significant results.

Well, it’s not a serious study of course. I just jumped through recent games. So I might have touched some timezones more then others.

Were you mostly sampling from live or correspondence games? Or did you get a balanced mix of both? I suspect that there are fairly large subsets of players that mostly play only live or only correspondence. It would be interesting to see if there is a significant difference between those two groups, or if those two cliques even firmly exist.

I’m not too sure what it would say if a statistically significant difference was found. Maybe those two cliques don’t really mix enough (via a third group of players that play both), so any difference could just be due to independent drift.

Too complicated to separate probably. You’d need to look at each player, decide whether they play mostly corr or live.

I went through game randomly, so whichever kind gets to be played more was more represented.

I do wonder though whether 1k corr is the same as 1k live.

Thanks! Interesting!
Maybe OGS should have some automated procedure that regenerates this histogram every 6 months or so?
OGS has a lot of new players, and it would be interesting to see whether the mode of the distribution (the peak) moves to the right with time as players improve. (Assuming that the ranking system doesn’t keep the average rank of all users constant, as some broken ranking systems do.)
There’s a very outdated histogram for KGS here: https://senseis.xmp.net/?KGSRankHistogram

I hope you’re not implying that the decision to fit rankings within a normal distribution constitutes a ranking system being “broken”

Does it mean that ranks between 20k and 8k are calculated less accurate than other?