OGS Study Group - Board 15

o/ @bugcat. Nice to see you here. I know you like older games like this.

This ain’t old, I spent the last hour analysing a game from 1866 :wink:

2 Likes

Board 5 is up. This game is from 1969.

It was nice to have large participation (6 users) on the last board.

4 Likes

Shuko to move! I bet no-one will find his move.
So exciting… Hope I ll have time to participate tomorrow still coming back and have other things first to do :frowning:

3 reviews posted so far…

this is a quick one, 10 minutes spent.

1 Like

https://online-go.com/review/367251

12mn

2 Likes
Summary

I found two moves for White that looked credible to me. The first one was the obvious jump-out H5. The variations I analysed focused on White attacking Black from above, building a wall in sente by allowing Black to escape, and then returning to pressure Black’s top left group with F13 and aiming to dominate the centre.

My other choice (and the one I’d play in the game,) was to play F13 immediately. I expect Black to respond with C12, and then White can either shoulderhit the 3-3 at Q16 to take influence and build a moyo on the top side, or jump out to H5 and start the attack, again looking to build influence. Probably exchanging F13 for C12 and then immediately jumping to H5 would be strongest for White, and only playing Q16 when its value is more clear.

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting board position from the latest Shin Jinseo showpiece:

Also: the king is dead! Long live the king! Nobody actually died, but Shin Jinseo, age 18, is now the #1 rated player in the world, and highest rated player in history, according to Rémi Coulom’s computations at goratings.org.

Well, I found it and that was actually my only choice. I didn’t figure out the sequence though :slight_smile:

Leela Zero doesn’t seem to agree with the bottom moves, and would have played on the left side starting at move 23.

@mark5000 are you planning to post your analysis? I was in particular wondering what kind of aji black could exploit in the lower right corner (maybe starting with S3-T4-Q3?).

1 Like

Here’s my thoughts:

I’m surprised no one seemed to notice how flat the position was. Or maybe some people did notice; it was just irrelevant to their analysis? Only vinceuji and I looked at pressing moves. The quality of analysis was generally pretty good though, and we got a lot of perspectives for this position, which is pretty great. I totally missed San Diego’s tesuji but gave it some analysis anyway, just later.

Let’s use ckersch88’s position as the next board:

^^ Board 6

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! That aji might explain why in the game Shuko chose to add a stone there and prevent black’s extension (I would have used that aji rather than play P2 in your variation).
[edit] LZ seems to agree with your P2 move, and would just let the right side go in response to black S3 (S3-Q4-T4).

Link to the actual game.

1 Like

Hi
Thanks for the review !!!
About s3 : the continuation of that aborted joseki, I remembered it can be found on eidogo.com (not that I advise to check josekis there…)
When there is a black stone at k3. White just better accept consequences and take at q4 after s3

3 Likes

Here is my take on this position :slight_smile:

I did go into a 20 move variation that involves a double ladder… just because it is fun :slight_smile: (Sadly it is not playable i believe )

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Here’s my analysis for the position:

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I’d already flipped through the game, so I went through I tried to figure out why Shin Jinseo chose the moves he did, and what some other options might be. I also checked the position with LZ, to see what the computer line would be, and if it agreed with the moves played in the game.

Interestingly, while Shin’s attachment move looks like a very computery move, LZ doesn’t like it, finding no difficulty for white in obtaining compensation for the reduction in terms of influence and territory on the bottom. LZs preferred line combines two of @mark5000’s ideas: the one space jump, and peeping the knight’s move in the top left. Order doesn’t seem to matter, as the two transpose quickly into one another. White will link up under black’s group and take the territory, with no real invasion prospect there for black.

https://online-go.com/review/369741

4 Likes
1 Like

Thanks Mark5000. !
The format of the study is intersting and comparing with others’ even more

1 Like

Here is Board 7. Anyone at any level is welcome to share their analysis of the position.

2 Likes