“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

I wish that I picked a better name for the app to avoid this sort of confusion… This thread is in fact related to a particular Android App which has been in development for more than 6 years, too late now to switch to PWA (whatever those are).

1 Like

Ah sorry for engaging in off-topic. Did t see what thread that was posted in!

Also PWA: Progressive Web Apps. Basically those websites that give you the option to install, and function almost like a native app. Kinda vague, but that’s the best summary I can give.

Weird I never heard of those after 16 years of working with mobile apps :slight_smile: Anyway I read for a couple of minutes and I don’t think these could poll for opponent moves and spawn notifications which is probably one of the most important aspects of the native app.

4 Likes

I believe they do support push notifications. Not polling, but in an ideal world, your native app wouldn’t have to do that either :slight_smile:

BTW my comments are purely informational, I’m not recommending you switch your app to PWA. Native is better in most ways. PWA is nice when you have a great web app (e.g. core OGS), but no mobile app developers or want to keep a consistent interface.

EDIT: source on Push notifications in PWA

1 Like

Hi I am trying to commit some code to add service worker to online-go.com.
How can I get these code been test?
I will open a new topic to discuss PWA.

Hi I open a new topic for PWA discuss, if you are interested in make PWA into online-go.com, maybe we could continue there.
PWA add service worker

2 Likes

Is this one for this thread now? @MrAlex @ElZilcho

https://forums.online-go.com/t/are-you-a-developer-want-ogs-on-a-mobile-device-old-android-and-ios-app-development-thread/1419/652?u=teapoweredrobot

2 Likes

No this user is asking about the browser based “Your turn” indicator which is not included in either app TMK

No idea why they posted in the original mobile app thread.

Edit.

Oh! Unless they meant this icon? I’ve never noticed it before and at the moment appears non-interactive to me (though it’s not my turn in any of my games)

Screenshot_20210312-182713_Online Go

Yes, I assumed it was this but I never use it normally so wouldn’t have noticed and also can’t test it at the mo.

1 Like

Right you are sir.

Haha me either! :crazy_face:

Yup, thats the one. Like I said, prior to the recent update pressing it would cycle through games in which it was my turn, now it just re-loads the same game. Not sure if its an issue with my tablet (if it is then please send me a new tablet to resolve the issue :wink: ), or if its an issue caused by the update, in which case it might need to be looked at. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well I can now confirm that the button seems to jump to a particular game or if you are already in the game then it just reloads that same one. I.e. I have three games right now and if I’m on game 1 or 2 it just loads game 3 and then reloads 3 each time.

I might get round to posting in the GitHub unless someone else beats me to it

2 Likes

<-- redacting this message as it was moved to this thread after the discussion had already progressed, not sure if deleting it will break earlier quotes–>

Hope I got this right:

3 Likes

I added a new bug report - scoring phase does not seem to work as it should.

1 Like

I added a feature request. What do you think, would this be useful?

2 Likes

Genius! I’m not totally sure what use this would be but I often wonder why the move number is not shown in the “playing” badge when on the current move. I sometimes have to flick back a move or see the move count come up. But that is in the game page rather than the dashboard.

2 Likes

Good point. I hadn’t even noticed the move count there. Yes it would be good to have the actual move number next to “Playing”, like “Playing move X”.

If you ever find yourself wanting to know whether one of your games is likely to finish before or after another game, the move number will be useful.

is everyone getting an “OGS API error” when launching the app now?

3 Likes

Yes @MrAlex needs to know! I reported on GitHub

1 Like

Hi guys thanks for reporting this. Interesting thing is I don’t get the error, but definitely a lot of you guys do, since there are quite a few reports of it today.

I will try to figure out what’s wrong tomorrow, although without reproducing it, it will be hard. Something must have changed in the JSON response, do we know what that may be? @anoek @matburt

4 Likes