“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Thanks for this update.
I have just tested the app and it works: I can submit moves and send messages in game chats.
Sometimes (but not always) the moves I play take “a lot” of time (~5 seconds) to be submitted but it’s not a complaint, it’s ok :slight_smile: Before this update, waiting had no effects.

6 Likes

I have another bug to report.

Screenshots

These screenshots were taken at the same time
On the website I have 298 moves to play, the app says “only” 173.
Some games (ex. the one against 神户小鸟 that is supposed to be the first) don’t appear in the app.
Also, minor thing, it shows my previous avatar.
I’m sorry, I know I am a “special case” :grimacing: But I’m not the only one with a lot of games

1 Like

Third post in a row, I’m sorry.
Yesterday the app worked,as i said, but a few hours after my previous message it stopped to work. I have tried it several times since then and it has not worked anymore.
If I open the app now, it freezes on the home page. Sometimes I can scroll down/up a bit before that it blocks. If I manage to open a game, it takes a lot to load (if it loads, sometimes it doesn’t, see the 3rd screenshot) and then I can’t submit the move and I can’t go back to the homepage.
After waiting a bit it gives me an error that let me close the app. I didn’t receive this error when I tried to submit moves before.

Screenshots

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to look at it again @_Sofiam I know it can be a bit frustrating. It does look like we’re getting somewhere since it worked at least temporarily :slight_smile:

The new problem is that you’ve been a busy customer and now have over 1000 games (last time you “only” had 800). That causes the app to fail in many interesting ways :smiley:

Another recurring problem is with the way we gather the chats. I’ve actually contacted anoek to try and work out a solution that does not involve me getting ALL the chat messages from ALL the active games every time you open the app as in your case that simply floods the communication channels.

Until then what I will probably do in the next version is that for people with > 100 active games I won’t fetch the chats before they navigate to the game. I think you’d rather have the app work without chats than it freezing on you and running out of memory as it apparently does.

Bear with me, we’ll get there :smiley:

5 Likes

@MrAlex heads up a friend just contacted me saying they can see their opponent’s malkovich log during the game. Don’t know when that broke.

This is the ongoing game from the screenshot. My friend is black and is receiving through the app his opponent’s malkovich log. I can’t personally replicate this in my own games.

1 Like

Not to turn this thread into a de facto bugs thread, but figured I’d note: this game doesn’t appear at all in the app for me. I had that happen previously with another game–not sure if it’s related to the japanese characters in the title?

1 Like

Given that this is the official thread for the app, it more or less is a bug and feature request thread for us users, and a changelog announcement feedback thread for @MrAlex :slight_smile:

Hello,

From the android app, I am able to see hidden messages that should be displayed only after the game ends, see screen shot.
Fortunately, I cannot click on the variation so I do not understand what he is talking about.
Kind of a big bug I would say, which also means the rest api must have a security bug.

game link : Tournament Game: Slow Correspondence Handicap - 4 round McMahon (55884) R:3 (timuzhti vs GoEtLent)

2 Likes

I think @MrAlex should also be notified.

1 Like

This definitely seems true: the server should not be sending chat that you’re not entitled to see: @anoek ?

2 Likes

The default is that everyone can see malk chat, and only the opponent is excluded… so probably the error is with the app correctly identifying the opponent as such to the server so that they can be properly excluded from the otherwise public chat… right?

3 Likes

It’s a good theory.

… and it clarifies that it’s not a security issue because in the case of malkovitch, anyone can see that, if they are logged out.

So:

• app-bug: yes
  • server bug: looking like no
  • security issue: no.
1 Like

Seems like it is a security issue, just not one we care about much right now?

I’d say you should have to be logged in to some account to see the secret chats. Of course anyone can make an alt account, but that’s a pretty big obstacle compared to just pasting the game URL into an incognito window or clicking “Logout” then “Back”, it leaves more of a trail, and it’s much harder to claim (to the mods or your own conscience) that you did it accidentally.

3 Likes

Def an app bug, but seems like this can be addressed server-side too, put less onus on 3P developers. Feature request would be something like @Feijoa suggested: “require auth to see malkovich”

2 Likes

The argument is that Malkovitch is a spectator feature, and you should be able to spectate without logging in.

Note: Malkovitch is not “secret notes about the game” it’s " a log of thoughts that spectators are intended to see".

Another note: now that we have a “general account data store” available in the back-end, anyone could implement the much requested “private game notes” feature.

4 Likes

It’s not just Malkovich, but spectators themselves post notes in the chat like “can’t he see that the ladder doesn’t work?” or “score estimator says Black is ahead by 1.5.” Speaking of which, the score estimator should require logging in, too.

3 Likes

SE…

1 Like

Do we know if the app is letting these through also? I couldn’t quite tell from the report. It looks like Malkovitch comments.

I can’t remember if it’s been said yet or not, but it’s not ALL malkovich messages that are being let through, only certain games for some reason… I too use this app and I have checked active games of known heavy malk users and none of them are erroneously coming through for me

I tried the app, but not being able to set time settings for custom games is a non-started for me.

:frowning:

1 Like