“Sente - Online GO” App for Android

Yes, I also get this. I logged it as an issue on github a while ago: Issue with rank calculation for dan ranks. · Issue #126 · acristescu/OnlineGo · GitHub

I bet it is related to the fact that the kyu and dan ranks are like a linear scale with a bit missing because zero does not exist. It is certainly counter-intuitive and must be tricky to take into account.

1 Like

Now I am 12kyu on the app:

(and 3d on regular ogs)

2 Likes

And BrandonKelley has my avatar

5 Likes

I’m guessing that’s a Rengo game where you are in a team with Brandonkelly.
And so maybe @ArsenLapin1 is in team with a 12k and there is some similar spillage.

3 Likes

I am now completely unable to play on the app.

I have come back from vacation yesterday.

Now:

• new games that I start on OGS don’t appear on the app
  • I cannot play moves in correspondence games where I am on turn. My opponent’s last move is correctly displayed, and the “their turn” mention is below my name, but I cannot click on the goban to play a move.

Can you please try to log out (from settings) and log back in? There have been some changes to the backend log in libraries that seem to have created a lot of problems for some people.

Cc @benjito

I logged out and logged back in and now I can play my moves. Thanks.

1 Like

cc: @anoek @GreenAsJade

They have more knowledge of the recent backend changes.

New version coming your way. This one was a lot of work, I’ve basically redone the entire game screen using modern technologies (Jetpack Compose etc.). This will make future development a lot easier, but in the short run it’s likely to introduce bugs. Hopefully I’ve redone all the features we’ve had in the classic version, but if I missed any, please let me know. In addition, there should be some more stuff:

• stone sounds (can be disabled from settings)
  • proper game over dialogs
  • consistent icon style
  • text description for icons, my hair has turned white from how many times I heard people can’t find the pass button :slight_smile:
  • new look for the timers, should now animate down from a full “pie” to an empty one.
  • proper user details dialog (rather empty right now, but more will come)
  • You should also see a lot less stuttering when scrolling as I’ve turned on some potentially problematic performance toggles (e.g. Proguard)

7 Likes

I had a go with the new version of the app and here is what I noticed:

• there was a really nice player summary page in the previous version, now just rank and rating are shown. Hope the full summary page can be brought back.
  • dan ranks are still one higher in the app than they should be, please see my earlier comment and the related issue on github: Issue with rank calculation for dan ranks. · Issue #126 · acristescu/OnlineGo · GitHub
  • sometimes there is a lag before the avatars appear, a hooded figure is shown during the lag
  • on flipping through correspondence games, sometimes there is a stone sound even though there is no new move.

That’s all for now.

Thanks.

4 Likes

thanks for the feedback:

• on the player summary page: I don’t remember, what info was shown there? I think we just redirected you to the stats page for that player? In either case, as you can see from the massive whitespace there, it’s just a placeholder. What kind of data would you like to see there?
  • dan ranks: I’ll have to have a look
  • how long is that lag? I’ll try to figure something out…
  • stone sound: I’ll look at it, but it’s a bit of a low priority
1 Like

Here is a sample of the last version.

1 Like

I think it was really good the way it was (see example above), I wouldn’t change the type of info or the layout.

It would be nice if the player names could link through to the corresponding player info pages.

Thanks

Ah, so it just sent you to the stats page. For technical reasons I don’t really like doing that (for those interested the stats page is written using the legacy XML view system while the new game screen is in Compose). I’ll have to re-implement a reusable dialog with some of that info.

Hence my question: what info do you really need on that screen? For example the graph with the history of that player seems like extra clutter (I’m not really interested in how my random opponent evolved through time). On the same note, do I care that this guy has played the most against some other random dude? Probably not. On the other hand, I’d rather like to know if I have played against that player before and how many of those games I have won.

That’s what I’m asking: what’s the minimum information set that we need?

As for linking to the website, I’d rather not funnel the players there (remember there are a lot of users that never know about the site). I’m only doing it with the game itself just so you can quickly fix any issues that might arise with the rewrite (such as for example stone removal phase not working as you would expect).

4 Likes

I also liked the old information page much better. That might be because I don’t think of my opponents as “other random dudes”.

2 Likes

MrAlex said that about the opponents of opponents, not about the opponents. I think that’s a significant difference.

1 Like

This is a good point, I normally go to the main site for this information and it is often necessary to scroll down a lot so it would be really helpful if this could be added.

I wasn’t suggesting that, just linking through to the corresponding page for the other player within the app.

1 Like

I hadn’t realised that the stats page was still available on the main screen. This alleviates my concern. So from the game page, clicking on own avatar should just bring up the stats page.

For the opponent probably the most interesting information would be:

• the highest rank reached and date
  • the strongest opponent beaten and date
  • the tally of wins and losses as mentioned earlier
  • their positions in any site ladders in which they are participating (this would also be useful on the stats page).

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi there. Not sure if this is the place to report an issue, but I’m having an issue with the app not firing any notifications when it becomes my turn in a game. Is this supposed to be a feature or am I mistaken.

Love the app tho. Much cleaner to make moves.

1 Like

Some old comments from Mr Alex on notifications:

The point is the notifications should arrive eventually but are not instantaneous because the app polls the server a limited number of times a day.

If you want quicker notifications you could set up e-mail notifications at online-go.com, and consider using a dedicated e-mail app / account to keep these notifications separate from other e-mails.

2 Likes