Opening help

How do I counter my opponent playing quickly by placing stones for influence, then territory?

This opening my opponent had a huge upper right side, probably left after being forced to defend corner.

https://online-go.com/game/5856926

That was the least fighting spirit I’ve seen in a game. Resigned too early. You seem to think there’s a winning formula and the moment you think you’ve veered off it, you resign. You counter it by playing.

4 Likes

Here is a simple review. https://online-go.com/review/171280

The game was definitively not over. While you think you made a bad opening, keep playing. Maybe you’ll catch up in the middle game. Even if not, it gives you experience. There’s a saying that says “Lose your first 50 games”. You’ll discover which patterns work and which don’t. Don’t give up!

Have fun!

1 Like

https://online-go.com/game/5886915

Influential style players confuse the heck out of me. :frowning:

After I made my last move, realize I couldn’t connect both sides top or bottom. So my group on the bottom left was dead. I could had try running it out to the center. But it seems near impossible, white on both sides and just needs to surround me from above as I tried to escape.

As mark5000 commented, resigning was the losing move. Even if you were absolutely certain those three stones were going to die, it’s six points, and you’re still in the opening part of the game.

Two things I can maybe point out to think about. First, When you played G3, you jumped into a pincer, you have to expect a fight and maybe consider your plan of invasion ahead of time. Second, attaching to K3 only gives white a chance to make his one stone stronger. It may not be a horrible idea if the attaching stone was also making your G4 group stronger, but the direction you chose would not help your G4 group at all.

Still even if white did respond correctly (which you didn’t even wait for) there was still plenty of chance for black to escape, and probably leave a game where white has to invade to have any chance of winning.

1 Like

I had an idea about what I wanted to do. But I didn’t expect him to jump after pushing up, thought he would do the same. Then I could hane or small knight’s move to threating to invade left (probably fourth line) and if needed, I can run to the center. After strengthening that group, it would be easier to attack the single stone to the right.

Seems he had better potential for both territory and influence. So I resigned, I didn’t know what to do. Most games I have a better idea how to play, either encroach or approach. Huge side jumps, requiring invasion isn’t my style. Slow and building from the corner to sides etc. is how I like to play.

Thanks for the help guys.

L3 is a bad move and certainly not an attack.

The effect of a contact move is to reinforce both players. Your move at L3 helps K3 get stronger, which in turn weakens your F4 group.

Instead, black M3 would be an attack on K3.

Chances are that i wouldn’t have responded correctly! i’m a very new player, overranked! due to some bad initial selections when registering my account (imho), and trying to learn how to play against others just like you :smile:!

Although, i’m very happy to get some nice variations and great reviews from players much better than me (thanks @mark5000! and i had just finished your beginners stone development puzzle :thumbsup:). Thanks for the reviews and analysis of this game everyone.

1 Like

Stoicstrom

Seems he had better potential for both territory and influence. So I resigned, I didn’t know what to do. Most games I have a better idea how to play, either encroach or approach. Huge side jumps, requiring invasion isn’t my style. Slow and building from the corner to sides etc. is how I like to play.

Ultimately you want to have fun and enjoy your games, but if you are going to resign as soon as things aren’t really playing in your comfort zone, expect to resign quite often. You’ll never learn if you don’t try.

jrsconfitto
Chances are that i wouldn’t have responded correctly! i’m a very new player, overranked! due to some bad initial selections when registering my account (imho), and trying to learn how to play against others just like you :smile:!

Although, i’m very happy to get some nice variations and great reviews from players much better than me (thanks @mark5000! and i had just finished your beginners stone development puzzle :thumbsup:). Thanks for the reviews and analysis of this game everyone.

All beginners should review mark’s work. If you really feel your rank is wrong you can ask a mod to adjust it, but in my opinion, at your level, even if you feel you’re really 25k you should probably be playing up to 20k anyway, so your rank will fix itself.

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words everyone. <333

PS: Be sure to check the Stone Development puzzle set. I added some content today.

Great! I had worked through most of it right before that game :thumbsup:

Yeah, I figured I’d just keep playing til it balanced out. I’m not too concerned with losing rank, I’d rather learn how to play well!