Optical Computing

I research Optical Computing. My interest came from my playing Go for over 40 years.

My designs are like VLSI.
I would think that FPGA used with these arrays could make for
general purpose or specific programmed computing with high throughput.

Too bad TMSC has not yet embraced optical computing as they excel in large dies and chipsets. They could also use optical links direct to die(s).

Any interest here?

3 Likes

Can we get an ELI5 for this post? >.<

The one acronym I am familiar with is FPGA, but I haven’t heard of any of the other terms, including Optical Computing. Sounds interesting though!

Edit: also how does any of this relate to Go? Serious question… I came across FPGA stuff doing DSP, wondering how Go brought you to this type of stuff.

1 Like

AI is the program Alpha Go… Largest advancement in AI using Go in decades of AI.
Leela is the weaker version of Go on Ai.

Go is a large array. Very large arrays of neural networks with weighting factors and iteration in formulas that can be dynamically modified programs using FPGA’s.

The Chinese announced a optical quantum computer in physical.org on 12/10/20, as reported by NHK TV. It was ~ 100 billion times more powerful than MIT/Google’s project, which used to be the previous best/ powerful optical computer. Massively parallel arrays seem to be the future.

Go in AI research has benifitted by increasingly more powerful computing platforms and insights that can come from new uses of that power with FPGA’s that can be reprogrammed dynamically as they “learn”.

See also… TOP500.org lists of the most powerful conventional computers every 6 months…

SWitting on our old tech, without staying abreast of the bleeding edge is static, when the future designs are dynamic.

Advances in pattern sensing and AI are dependent on better computing platforms, algorithms, topologies and hardware as well as other factors, such as dynamic programming… See AMD’s purchase of Xilinx (FPGA’s) to be incorporated into newer generations of server chips for very large data centers and then being incorporated into engineering and powerful desktop systems for better data analysis in programs such as Tensorflow(neural networks).

Insights will also be applied to Go which has a very large complex of patterns, that need to be applied in the right location and timing with dynamic feedback… Isn’t that how you play Go at your best?

Why not stay upto date with processing capabilities that have emerged recently. I have been studying optical computers for over 30 years an percieved their value long ago. We are now starting to reach those levels.

Go is a large array, with complex analysis in only 19x19=361 locations. I have played 2-35x35 co-joined Go boards with 3 players per side in round robin sequence 30 years ago, to learn about how size, edges and center play are effected, as topology study. It was interesting how size effects playing styles. Be open minded and we can learn far more.

No worry I am and most people here are.
Just don’t expect that all of us to know what is VSLI, FPGA,TM…
Well not me at least.
So I wish to get more on your interests.

2 Likes

To help with Acronyms/Abbreviations…
and a few informative articles on history and current progress.

AI - Artificial Intelligence, often using Neural Networks, Python programming language and/or Tensor Flow software and others…/
What is Artificial Intelligence (AI)? | IBM
Can optical computing be the next breakthrough in AI acceleration? – TechTalks

Leela/Alpha GO - Advanced AI Software to play AI Go games at a high level with large Neural Network size. AlphaGo as won against 4/5 games vs Lee Sedol-9p. Has cleaned house on 56? players on Korean Go server of all strong players the played AlphaGo-improved.

Combining Large Array Processing, Neural Networks(AI) on a large array Optical Computer is the current goal using current and bleeding edge tech, brought to bear on the game of Go.

Go game AI analysis continues to lead the field of AI.

Optical Computing puts it on steroids. ie.-
Photonic Chips Seem to Boost Speed of AI Processes Dramatically | Unite.AI.

VLSI - Very Large Scale Integration,
Very Large Scale Integration - Wikipedia

FPGA - Field Programable Gate Array,
Field-programmable gate array - Wikipedia

TSMC - Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company,
TSMC - Wikipedia

Optical Computing/Computer -

NLO - Non Linear Optics
Nonlinear optics - Wikipedia

Optical-Computing
Optical Computing - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Optical storage arrays: a perspective for future big data storage

https://www.nature.com/articles/lsa201458/

Chinese Optical Quantum Computer - Dec 22, 2020, Beats Google and MIT/NASA quantum systems by miles for complex problems… ie Go using AI, Neutral Networks and very Large Database Combinorals and weighting Factors…
Quantum device performs 2.6 billion years of computation in 4 minutes | Ars Technica. (with image)
Researchers from China Demonstrate Quantum Supremacy Using an Optical Method
Quantum computational advantage using photons | Science

Topology/-ies - The shape of designs
Topology - Wikipedia
Imaginghub Blog - Comparison of hardware for training neural networks
What is Topology? - Definition from Techopedia

Classic book on many unique topologies(mostly networks) and the visualization of them…“The Atlas of CyberSpace” (out of print, but link here works)
An Atlas of Cyberspaces - Topology Maps

I have chosen 2D arrays of x,y… ie.- a Go board taken to a much larger dimension… and then added other shapes and dimensions as needed for the Optical Computer…

…All this started with Go and the fact I am a programmer that has tried to think of other relationships (Go game shapes, board sizes and simplicity of the shapes of Go) and more complex levels of relationships… then AI, Neural Networking and more powerful computers/supercomputers and then simplifying the computing elements to a range of functional designs.

Please see if you can find the video of the recent Chinese (Dec 20,2020) in action…
It is a free space construction of 100x100 elements, (sound familiar… 19x19 only larger).
Large arrays can be made of 10 types of elements…
Corner, Side, Center, Laser emitters(arrays), Diode detctectors(arrays) or CCD’s linear or array and modulators, path switching and storage( for arithmetic logic, program and processing elements

The most complex element is the switching fabric by far…
All of which can be be arrays of elements w/ control logic.

Go has been the key and stimulus. Small, medium large arrays… or scaleable to any size with wafer fab and enough die real estate. Programable AI and Neural Network processing can be implemented by FPGA and ASICs(Application Specific Integrated Circuit) fixed logic but only FPGA dynamically reprogrammable logic.

I hope this helps you understand why Go and Optical Computing could lead to more breakthroughs like we have seen with strong AI Go programs and large storage patterns of games.

This is only one approach of a combination of elements and topologies and is not fixed in stone, but is a flexible design for the applications it is designed for. Analog Computing is also useful for weighting factors. The optimal Optical Computer would be both Analog and Digitalto optimize the design for the type of required computing functions needed.

These links are intended to open your minds to other possibilities, as in new Go move combinations and shapes(topologies)…

SAI copyright May 14,202, All Rights Reserved.
GPUplayer