Pictures From Home

Hopefully it’s not even heavier than lead, and unusually warm. Be especially careful not to surround it with a tungsten carbide or beryllium enclosure.

Although, maybe that would be an incredibly daring way to deal with the moth problem.

4 Likes

It does seem like it now that you mentioned it. Though when they are well made like that, it is hard to pry them open or cut them in half:

On the topic, since @GreenAsJade mentioned about living in beautiful places, I felt a bit bad for cheating somewhat by taking pictures from the nearby beaches and waterfront and forests and all those stuff (those are beautiful by default everywhere in the world, but it doesn’t mean we actually live there :slight_smile: )

So, here is a picture from the top of my home, with the rundown old warehouses, the unfinished buildings, the unkept gardens and the sheds from a century ago … ok and a sunset, come on :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

…the sheds from … before my country was settled by Europeans :smiley:

4 Likes

The ball appears to be attracted by a fridge magnet so at least pure aluminum or lead is out then. Wouldn’t you say it’s just a steel ball that you have lying here and there? Don’t you have those?

Like here

Or here

Also, the culprit. Sleeping dead sleep.

2 Likes

Hmm, that doesn’t look like a harmful moth, though. As far as I could find, it’s a dot moth, which may be an agricultural pest, but not generally known for eathing fabric.

Clothes and pantry moths are typically a lot smaller, have a narrow body at rest and look like this:

4 Likes

I didn’t think about steel because it looks very big in your picture and also very scratched, which doesn’t happen usually to steel balls.

I have some from ball bearings: a handful of about 15 mm diameter and one big 4 cm which should be from a train bearing.
They don’t look so scratched.

I also had some heavy cylinder about 5 cm tall also from trains bearings. I don’t see them since longtime. I wonder where they could be now… :thinking:

2 Likes

European version of Niagara Falls. Rheinfall, Switzerland.

14 Likes

Is this the Sherlock Holmes one, or am I mixing my falls?

That’s a different one. The Rheinfall near Shaffhausen (where I am now) is much wider, but not as high.

3 Likes

Personally, I found some of Iceland’s waterfalls much more impressive than the Rheinfall, despite being smaller in volume. There’s just so much more power in a straight vertical drop.

In particular I found the Dettifoss beyond impressive:

13 Likes

I do not usually go there, so those are pictures from a friend, this morning :slight_smile:

nice place, horrible roads to get there. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Father and son

These are special grills for cooking small skewers with sheep meat, called “arrosticini”. They are typical from my wife’s region. On August 15th, mid summer holiday, they’re used to roast some meat on the grill.

I still have to light the fire.
Maybe later I’ll post a picture in the food thread. :grin:

If you think they look like gutters, well, they are!
That’s the traditional way of making these grills. :smile:

16 Likes

Nice example of repurposing.

2 Likes

My neighborhood, albeit a little bit to the West of where I actually live.

15 Likes

See that white layer out on the hills? That’s hail

10 Likes

Spider bro

10 Likes

18 Likes

Found a pretty historical tram stop. Not in full glory, there were people getting in the way, but still.

7 Likes

@Conrad_Melville remember long ago I said in childhood we had a cool toxic pit. I found one to show, it’s not the same one but the compound the same, certainly.

See how pretty it is. It’s pitch black itself and then there’s this sickly white coating on the border that seemingly wards off any plants from growing there.

12 Likes

Looks like oil. Is that a natural formation or some manmade thing?

3 Likes