Players' Names on the Tab Title

Some punctuation to indicate whose turn with player names gives best of both worlds concisely. Maybe asterisk by analogy to unsaved file in various programs.

*Uberdude vs Jim
Uberdude vs *Jim

Tabs starting with asterisk are ones it’s your move, easy to find when squashed.

Argh! should be their name first, but then asterisk not at start for your move.

5 Likes

If we’re changing the tab text depending on whose turn it is, what if the tab reads

$player_whose_turn_it_is v $opponent

Then if your name first your turn, opponent name first their turn… Only downside is when many games are your turn not easy to tell which is which but otherwise might work well.

2 Likes

Reordering the names makes it harder to identify the right tab. Your brain can use pattern recognition instead of reading if the pattern is always in the same order. Like “The player I’m looking for played white, so it’s the second username”, “the first username is very short, the second very long”. I’m not sure if it applies here though. For games with longer time settings, like tournament games, I would recognize the approximate position of the tab (like: it’s more on the right) and on the pattern of the tab title, rather than reading all titles left to right until I find the username I’m looking for.

If they are my games, dynamic info + opponent name is enough.

Btw.: dynamic info should go first and be short. It’s information your brain cannot use object permanence to generate shortcuts.

Edit:

I like the idea, but would put the move indicator outside
(3) # Uberdude vs Jim
(3) Uberdude vs Jim #

5 Likes

Since so many people seem to prefer different things, I think, ideally, there could be some sort of micro language for people to freely customize their tab title. It’s probably gonna be much more work, but that would please the most people. Something like what @BHydden exemplified:

$player_whose_turn_it_is v $opponent
3 Likes