Please remove that ! for games without handicap

I’ve notified @anoek of this thread, in case there really is a bug.

1 Like

As I said smurph, it does on my machine. I can try and screenshoot it all, but it is a bit cumbersome on my setup (2 screens and the linux screenshooter behaves a bit oddly…). Trust me, there are games with “Custom handicap: Nein” and others with “Custom handicap: Automatisch”, and there is not a single game without the marker.

2 Likes

I can see that, but it’s not related to the intended feature. It’s possible that your setup shows them… but that would be a bug. In this case it could be helpful if you shared your browser make and version etc.

Moin @user5555,

könntest Du mal bitte testweise Dein Konto auf Englisch umschalten und schauen, ob diese Warnzeichen dann immer noch da sind? Das wäre cool …

(could you please, for a test, switch your account to English and look whether these signs are still there then? That would be cool …)

Greetings

Grüße aus der Lüneburger Heide :slight_smile:
Tom

1 Like

The ! are there if you use any other language then English.
It’s a very interesting bug.

3 Likes

Called it? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ok, just did the screenshooting… I got Linux Mint / FF 68.0.1.
Here’s a few more examples:

!!!

2 Likes

Already did. Few posts above. XD But yes. He implemented it, so he should know what’s up.

While we’re at it, I suggest changing “Kurzspiele” to “Kurze Spiele”. The former isn’t idiomatic and it’s also inconsistent. I’d also consider swapping “Spiel(e)” with “Partie(n)” in general. Optional though.

just switched my acct to German, and yes, it’s the same in Google Chrome on macOS as well as in FF.

1 Like

Go for it:

“Kurze Spiele” is definitely better and consistent with “Lange Spiele”

3 Likes

As expected, when I switch to English, they are gone and it looks good.

3 Likes

Btw. “Kurze Spiele” or “Schnelle Spiele”?

Is it more about duration or speed?

I prefer ‘schnell’, too.

I just visited https://translate.online-go.com/de/ogs/translate/#search=short%20games&sfields=source,target,notes,locations&soptions=exact and there it says “Kurze Spiele” :open_mouth:

And yeah, I’d also prefer “Schnelle Spiele” vs. “Langsame Spiele”—and, accordingly, in English: “Fast Games”* vs. “Slow Games”.

* Perhaps better “Quick Games”?

1 Like

Yea, I was fast schnell. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I implemented it. I’ll take a look, thanks for the bug report.

1 Like

“Quick” feels more right than “fast”, although both are correct imho. Somehow “quick” captures both the speed and the duration.

In German “Kurze Spiele” is certainly correct. But since it’s more about the speed of the game, while the shorter duration of that is just a consequence of that, I guess “Schnelle Spiele” fits the meaning a little bit better. But it does sound slightly off to me… like some weird movie title about certain games you don’t really want to know about :wink: “Schnelle Partien” sounds much better. But somehow, with slow games I think “Lange Partien” sounds better than “Langsame Partien”. It’s correct in a weird way… because a game (Partie) can’t really be “slow”. Slow is a movement, and the game doesn’t move, it’s the player that moves. You could still say it and everyone would understand, but there is a slight off-ness to it. Strangely, “Schnelle Partie” would be the same problem, but somehow, that’s a completely normal thing to say, even though strictly speaking it should be “Kurz”.

So I guess I just contradicted myself like 10 times :wink: It all sounds a bit bulky in German, to be honest :). Or just call short games “Blitz” (everybody understands that). And long games “Längere” (longer)?

I fixed it. Pull request is on the way.

@user5555 Thank you for reporting the issue. This bug was there for about 2 months.

6 Likes

Yes, the most accurate descriptions (hohes/niedriges Tempo) would also be fairly unappealing.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.