Profanity filter placeholder

Is it just me, or does the profanity filter make some expletives look worse than they are?

Thoughts on changing “$*!%” to “****”? Or “d***”? Other ideas?

4 Likes

I have no objections

2 Likes

probably has the same problem

probably works best for english, not sure if it would work as well in other languages?

2 Likes

The word alone conveys disappointment but with an exclamation mark included ($*!%) I read it as agitated shouting

In the meantime, you can use this workaround:

grafik

2 Likes

Is that not your own profanity filter? As in it will filter comments you see but not change other players settings?

I guess it’s confusing but I would expect that it’s not filtering what you say but what you see?

2 Likes

There is no filter for what you say, as far as I’m aware.

Actually even from this example I don’t understand the filter.

I would assume benjito doesn’t have a filter on if Darn is visible and the filter worked the way I thought, but then the opponents message is filtered, so that doesn’t seem to make sense unless the filter was quickly toggled in one minute.

So does the filter actually replace your message by the filtered message before it sends it?

1 Like

I think darn isn’t included in the filter.

The filter only changes those words from the filter into these symbols on your side (not on the server). It also changes things you type yourself. When you disable it, everything will be visible again.

2 Likes

Heh, I guess nobody was seeing what I was seeing. To me the “$*!%” evokes a certain 7/10 word that starts with “S”, as opposed to a 4/10 word that starts with “D”.

I think I’ll hold off on opening an issue as the proposed functionality is just slightly more lines of code than replacing “$*!%” with something.

1 Like

I was playing a game online a few years ago, and the filter was a bit overly sensitive, giving us dialogues as
-we’re having a cr****, we shouldn’t ***ume they will help us this round.

Fun times.

5 Likes

clbuttic :wink:

1 Like
2 Likes

My go-to is to write my language but with Latin alphabet. Nothing catches that. :wink:

Okay I’m stumped… “crf*ck”?

1 Like

Crisis. As in that Isis (not the goddess, the other one).

2 Likes

Ohhh. Yeah that’s quite aggressive…

1 Like

Age of empires 2 DE was plagued with an overly strict profanity filter for a long time and you couldn’t opt out of it. It would censor and entire message if the number 1 or the letter i appeared anywhere in the message

Entire thread about it there :slight_smile: That specific linked post has an example showing them trying things out in the game lobby to demonstrate

3 Likes

They filtered out the number 1, the most used character in all of AoE2 chat?

3 Likes

1 Like