Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

That wasn’t what I meant.

who are ladders assumed to be good for?

ie. who are the ladders assumed to work for?

As an example, suppose this joseki was a tsumego and I was considering A as White.

Should I assume that this ladder is valid for me or for Black? And is that because I’m the defender or because I’m the solver?

Also, that’s interesting since the view of Sensei’s Library seemed to be that escape from the play area was considered of the same value as local life.

in a go problem you assume there are no other stones, like a full board reduced to this corner. (Unless specified)
So yes here the ladder is good for black.

Now if it’s a discussion about a joseki, not a problem, the solution may add a comment like black takes the stone in a ladder which will imply the possibility of a ladder breaker etc…

2 Likes

Hey folks, is there a stone placement sound in review mode if you use the autoplay-button to let OGS replay the game? I don’t hear any, but I’m on phone so it might be me.

(Inb4 I open a new “Feature Suggestion” thread)

1 Like

what rank area do people get stuck at even with training , studying practice everyday for a few hours.

I am 7-8kyu 9x9 and 10-11kyu at 19x19 and I have not had this happen yet , i did get stuck at 9-10kyu at 9x9 for 4 months practicing everyday for a few hours but i recently shot up to 6-8kyu.

Im just wondering if theres a rank its normal to get stuck(permanantly) at even with never giving up

IRL, EGF ranking: 10k 6k 3k 1k 3d 4d 5d…
1k to 1d need like same effort as 30k-1k

Besides anyone can get stuck wherever, just a personal matter.

plotted for OGS accounts with at least 2000 games:

If you didn’t play even 1000 games yet, don’t consider yourself stuck, there is good chance you will improve

2 Likes

sounds like there isnt such a thing then? It would be cool if 1D is achievable even for people who arent naturally gifted at this.

It really drove me crazy being stuck at 9kyu at 9x9 for like 3-4 months… I was trying so hard everyday and i just couldnt break past it… Very happy to finally advance further

Getting stuck is a reality for many players.
It comes not just from your abilities but from bad learning mostly: bad habits (already at 10k with players educated by old gen bots for ex.) or misunderstanding on basic concepts, lack of reading…
It’s not always easy to pass a step but external advices from books or stronger players help.
For my own progress, “lessons in the fundamentals” helped me at 9k and “Tesuji” at 6k.

2 Likes

I found rather inspirational seeing some commented AGA games with Andrew Jackson and a female pro who kept telling him: “Don’t be lazy!” in a super wholesome and helpful way, and it kinda stuck :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is more of a complaint than a question, but I was just watching In Sente’s video from January:

In this video, Using Influence to Beat the AlphaGo Metagame, two games are reviewed.

Here is my complaint: in both games where the influence is made, Black plays old-fashioned or plain bad 3-3 invasion lines. These lines have hardly been played in the middlegame, even at SDK level, since the 2016–17 AI revolution – let alone in these supposed dan-level games from 2020 or 2021!

So what is the instructional value of demonstrating how to capitalise on your opponent playing in a way that is unrealistically weak?

03:24 for the first unrealistic line, when Black enters the “pre-bot 3-3 invasion” from Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS, by proceeding with the weak hanetsugi marked C rather than the hypermodern second push A, which would go into the “hane wall mark I” line.

17:24 for the second one. This time Black plays the very bizarre and poor variation shown below:

Neither time is the strangeness of these lines occurring in the 5k+ ranks remarked on.

My impression is that these strawman games, with odd and poor play by the “territorial opponent”, are being presented as a fair example of the so-called AlphaGo metagame, when they really represent a cackhanded implementation of post-bot ideas.

Does anyone on here have a goban floor? (NB not a floor goban)

3 Likes

In my goclub there was a rule for blitz that when you capture more as 3 stones, you can freeze the clock then remove the stones.
What is the procedure in the world of pros? With other time settings?

1 Like

They EGF tournament rules say:
Clock neutralisation The clock may be neutralised, with both player’s timepieces being stopped simulaneously, in the following circumstances:

By a player - after having placed one’s stone - to remove three or more stones without liberty while in overtime or playing under finite thinking time rules.

https://www.eurogofed.org/egf/tourrules.htm

So this seems pretty standard

5 Likes

But does Ke Jie stop the clock or does he pass it onto PJW’s time?

It looked like the latter.

(if we’re still discussing the Ke Jie video)

1 Like

Will this tournament Correspondence Weekly McMahon 19x19 2021-04-24 17:00 be canceled unless it has 60 players?

I guess so

is that how it works?

@StevenageTony If you live in Stevenage in England, can I ask what Go club you attend?

Do you go into London or up to Cambridge, or just not at all? Or is there a club in Hertfordshire?

I live in Essex, and lately @teapoweredrobot and I have been talking about the sparsity of clubs in East England and the possibility of starting a new one.

1 Like

This the geography, for non-English(wo)men:

Place Colour
Stevenage Yellow
Hertfordshire Red
Cambridge Purple
Greater London Orange
Essex Green

Cambridge has a club, London has six clubs, and afaik there aren’t any others around.

1 Like

That makes me think, we could prepare the idea by setting up an online club.

I could try starting an East England Internet Club for players in, say:

• Cambridgeshire
  • Norfolk
  • Suffolk
  • Hertfordshire
  • Essex
  • London
  • Surrey
  • Kent
  • East and West Sussex