Rank Determination

I can see how playing someone with a different rank above or below yours is treated (Victory/Loss vs weaker opponent, and Victory/Loss vs Stronger Opponent), but how is it dealt with when you play someone with the same ranking as yourself (Victory/Loss against Equal opponent)?

Mogadeet

1 Like

Guessing this is based on the rating points. Given it’s a math formula, it’s very likely that there are hidden decimal places too. So probably unlikely to have people with the exact same rating.

Curious to hear from the devs on this.

1 Like

You probably hit on where the distinction lies, but I’m with you, I’d like to hear an official response.

I noticed when I, at 16K, beat a 15K it was rated as a win over a weaker opponent, but when I as a 16K lost to a 17K it was rated as a loss to a weaker opponent. What is used to determine that? Shouldn’t my victory over the 15K be a win over a stronger opponent?

Mogadeet

This sounds completely wrong.

Can you point at the games in question?

Note that it is currently not-at-all obvious which game is which with respect to those that count as against weaker and stronger opponents, because the graph only shows one update per day, incorporating the overall result of the day, and the game history doesn’t show the rank of the players at the time the game was played.

1 Like

My win was on Sept. 18, 2017 against GretaMalispina (15K). My defeat was on the same day vs DevoteOneselfWholeheartedly (17K). I was 16K in both.
Here’s an attempted Screen Shot from my profile.

I hope it can be viewed.

Mogadeet

There, this may be more readable.

I’ve noticed this too, as a low 6 kyu I beat a high 5 kyu and it still counted as a weaker player. When I went back to see the rankings I noticed that with that most recent win I was a slightly higher rank than him, so I think the stronger weaker aspect is only evaluated after the rating change. Kinda weird, not sure if it’s intentional or not.

(softly, in best Kung Fu Master voice) “Ah, it is…inscrutable computer program.”

Hahahahaha :smiley: are you running OGS on Comodore 64 or something? Totally love it.

1 Like

Hey, I’ve got an excuse. I was finished with all of my College education a few years before the Hewett-Packard calculator was invented…let alone the PC. At least a human could program a Commodore 64. :grimacing:

1 Like

@anoek Sounds like a bug?

I don’t play fast enough to have games available to check this - anyone else?