Real vs Online

To be fair with online play, you will meet much more different players as with face to face play.

To become stronger it’s important to challenge different players with different ideas and styles, and if you prefer face to face you will not have too many other choices as trying to participate in tournaments (yes i know you know i like tournaments!)

1 Like

I believe Go is art. Those who only play online experience only 10% of the art.
The way you put the stone on the board, the real greetings, nigiri, moving stones when scoring…Even looking your opponent face / gesture when he face difficult situation, is also part of the art.

3 Likes

Paper work and homework are never fun :pensive:

And the paper work in large amateur tournaments are not meant for players’ benefit, but record keeping.

2 Likes

I never had been requested to do it, i guess It’s something a bit specific of Taiwan weiqi organization? Well if both players have to share the inconvenience, It’s fair at least.

1 Like

It depends on the Go Schools/associations, as well as the tournaments. The records are usually used as reference materials in recommendations for getting diploma, given to teachers for judgements of the strength, or insei applications, etc. As to who to keep records, it also depends, but a lot of times, the winning sides would have the incentive, but if they are important series of games, players would keep them all.

I think for a time using software or apps to record games are common before AI era, but nowadays, serious tournaments disallow electronics inside the tournament area, so some go back to use paper to keep records during the short recess.

And I am not sure if this is only specific to Taiwan though, I think I heard my teachers said it used to be the same in Japan, but don’t know what it is the situation now in practice. Still can buy preprint recording papers cheap and easy in Japan, so maybe it’s still somewhat common?

3 Likes

We also have free kifu sheets at Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS you can print off yourself :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like