Sorry it took me so long to publish this, things have been busy. So this is from my previous post, Go Ranking & Improvement Poll.
Nearly 400 people responded.
Second, I made a chart showing more detail on the ranks of the poll respondents.
Third, I broke the playing time down into groups:
- DDK playing time
- 9-6k playing time
- High SDK playing time
- 1 dan playing time
- 2 dan playing time
- 3-4 dan playing time
- 5-7 dan playing time (columns slightly out of order)
Top Recommended Resources
Fourth, here’s a chart of the top recommended resources for improvement. A bunch of other books and resources were also recommended, included reviewing your own games and lessons with a teacher.
All the Responses
Also, if you want to dig into the responses more, you can find a copy of them here.
Lastly, a bunch of caveats:
- There were less than 400 respondents, so take the sample size with lots of grains of salt.
- The poll was pretty crudely done, which I only realized after I saw a bunch of the responses. More below.
- Playing time doesn’t tell you much if the player was really focused on improving for awhile, but hasn’t tried to improve much in the last 10 years (for example).
- Some players aren’t really trying to improve, just playing for fun.
- I wish I had asked the fastest improvers what their strategies were when they were really focused on improving. This would have been fascinating. I might do a poll on this later.
Basically, these results don’t tell us much. But they’re here, for what it’s worth.
Thanks for everyone who responded!