Review request 11k vs 11k

I resigned. I want to know where I could have gone better.

Here you go! :slight_smile:

Mistake 1
The mistake that put you at a major disadvantage during the early game is a strategic one. A series of odd white moves probably threw you off, and after move 42 you had a floating black group. When your group is floating, you always want to see if you can chop apart an opponent group and force him to run with you. By forcing him into a running battle, there are pressure on both sides to live and connect. Because you didn’t take advantage of this cut, white has attacked you one-sided and gained nice territorial profit on the right to compete for the territory white conceded to you earlier. This made the game slightly good for white.

Following the running battle you eventually realized that you had to resist, and then white was cut. But by this time it was already too late. White had gained profit on the right, and the shape problems in black’s attack means even if black chopped white apart, white will be left with a strong group in tact and a living corner – the cut only connected a few stones. Black was still unsettled. This mistake came from the wrong direction to atari. See the variations I posted around move 62.

These inefficient moves has led black to miserably scramble for life for the dragon, ending with living in gote at move 82. By this point white is comfortably ahead as black had no potential elsewhere.

Mistake 2
Move 101 is a sneaky attempt to cut white, but white responded calmly. Knowing this, move 101 is unecessary. This is better played around L3 or O3 and reduce white’s potential (which is what will eventually help white to win the game) instead. These kind of moves, where if you can see a way for your opponent to counter what you’re trying to do, is best to leave unplayed. Know where the large points are!

Mistake 3
If a stone can be captured in a net or a ladder, always choose the net. The ladder depends on a ladder breaker somewhere far away, the net finishes the job locally. In move 104 white played a ladder breaker that worked extremely nicely with his moyo. Black is now suddenly in the burden to counter the ladder breaker – leading to the very bad exchange of a 4th line shoulder hit. This gave white everything he needed to win the game. That being said, it wasn’t too important to capture that stone on E10 anyways. All you needed was to keep F11 stones around until black can kill the white group inside.

Had black played a net, black could set his mind on a full invasion. That was probably the only chance left.

tl;dr:

1. When your group is floating, you always want to see if you can chop apart an opponent group and force him to run with you. By forcing him into a running battle, there are pressure on both sides to live and connect.

2. If a stone can be captured in a net or a ladder, always choose the net. The ladder depends on a ladder breaker somewhere far away, the net finishes the job locally.

1 Like