AlphaGo VS Ke Jie this year

You raise a very interesting point :-).

Obviously AG needs to play against Ke Jie (and let me know the minute anyone can confirm the match will be happening :-D). Also he is the one who claimed confidence against it even after Lee’s matches and he is the one who allegedly said he has “one last move against AG” (tengen? :sweat_smile:)
But now that you mention this I wish (early) Lee Changho played AG as well. I loved his early style and maybe alphago needs to face something new which would ironically be something old :smiley:. Of course Sai would be a fine opponent as well.

Couldn’t we arrange for some a simultaneous play of several chosen masters against AG? I am sure google has enough computers to oblige :D. Anyone here can make it happen? @trohde? How about we all chose one representative, sounds fair to me…

Not me, aside from the fact that I don’t have time for such things … but I’m also not important enough to many any such thing happen :wink:

:frowning: You are just too modest!

1 Like

Well, thank you :heart: … what shall I say … honestly: I’m just an elderly dude who is overwhelmed by his workload, who has a terrible time management, and who procrastinates too much already … and while I may be seen here and there, that’s just a sign of my chaotic and disorderly life :wink:

But it’s interesting to contrast this time with younger times … when I wanted to feel “important”, while today I’m really glad that I’m not.

3 Likes

Alas, I need to correct myself! This is what I get for writing from memory at about 1 a.m. The Park Junghwan game I was thinking of was #48, which he lost by 3.5 points if my counting is right. Also his games #15 and #25 had margins of 5.5 and 7.5, respectively. In contrast Ke Jie lost #18 by 11.5 and resigned the other two early (#19 in 128 moves, one of the shortest in the series, and #50 in 178 moves). Without making any judgment about the technical play, which I am unqualified to comment on, Ke Jie’s results strike me as less impressive that Junghwan’s. If a chess master resigned a game in 20 moves, I would conclude that he performed less well than one who resigned in 100 moves. (BTW: my counts include komi even though Go-Baduk-Weiqi.de listed some games with zero komi. I read a query and response somewhere–perhaps on that site–which stated that standard komi was used on all games.)

Yes, I heartily agree, I would like to see AG play slower matches against several of the pros in the 60-game series.

Your remarks struck a chord here. Like you, I am a somewhat elderly fellow who procrastinates too much and is happy to be unimportant. I am content to read my books, play go (when I feel well enough), spend time with family and friends, and do a little rockhounding in the desert and mountains when I can.

2 Likes

I was just thinking, do you think somebody thought about playing mirror go against AG? Or have anyone tried it against “master” and I missed it? Do you think they added some line of code to deal with such a thing? :smiley:

Check game 51: http://www.go-baduk-weiqi.de/masterp-alias-mastergo-spielt-60zu0

1 Like

Oh awesome thanks :smiley: why did he stop though? :smiley:
Did he thought that AG move was so bad or something? :frowning: (#insuficient knowledge to understand)

Well, not breaking the mirror is a guaranteed loss because of komi. The whole interest of mirror go is about where to break it. Ideally, you want to break it when you feel you can make tengen useful. It doesn’t have to be when you think your opponent played sub-optimally, although that’s often the case too.

1 Like

But there was no komi :frowning: he could have gotten a draw :smiley:
Yeah, I get one would want to break it, I just didn’t understand why he chose that moment…

@Adam3141 komi was 6.5

But, but, but the German website hat gesagt Komi is null :frowning: And I thought Germans were supposed to be precise :smiley:

Whatever, has anyone any idea why Zhou Junxun decided to break the mirror at that point? Is there some interesting review for that game? I thought it would be an interesting test to mirror AG but it just kind of seems he threw the idea away without any result… I just wondered if anyone has any idea what his thinking was at that point…

I honestly have no idea why he chose to break the mirror there.

Remember that the natural end of mirror go is that the center will become unusable, with little points there. To avoid losing quietly, Black has to break the mirror and make use of tengen before the center becomes unusable.

Let’s think about move 70. It’s a shoulder hit. The main purpose of the move is reduction. A reduction from above will reduce the efficacy of tengen. Naturally Black would get compensation on the other side, but White could steal half the value of tengen for nothing. If you have to break mirror to win the game, you may as well do it on the move your opponent starts to nullify tengen.

Anyway, I don’t think mirror AlphaGo until the end would be that interesting. AlphaGo would win by komi and that’s all.

3 Likes

Since Park Junghwan just won the world championship, it seems like he would be a better choice for the match. It could become an annual match: the world champion versus AlphaGo.

Well Ke Jie didn’t play in the championship, so there is no real comparison between the two. But at the moment he is the number one rated player. Either way, both would surely be a great choice :slight_smile:

I like the idea though :). But then again as AI was already part of the championship all we need is for deepmind to say yes next year…

Confirmed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_r9smp4-0U

Edit: Additionally - https://deepmind.com/blog/exploring-mysteries-alphago/

4 Likes

“Pair Go” — A game where one Chinese pro will play against another…except they will both have their own AlphaGo teammate, alternating moves, to take the concept of ‘learning together’ quite literally.

“Team Go” — A game between AlphaGo and a five-player team consisting of China’s top pro players, working together to test AlphaGo’s creativity and adaptability to their combined style.

“Ke Jie vs AlphaGo” — Of course, the centerpiece of the event will be a classic 1:1 match of three games between AlphaGo and the world’s number one player, Ke Jie, to push AlphaGo to (…perhaps beyond!) its limits.

Wow, can alpha go really beat 5 top pros working together?!?

1 Like