Sandbaggers vs Escapers

I had a couple of games recently that got me thinking about this in a Pirates Or Ninjas? sort of way. I used to get rather miffed, to put it mildly, when someone who was showing a similar rank to me, just hoovered my stones off the board, and on those occasions, when I’d gained the advantage and my opponent left the game, I didn’t mind so much - After all a win is a win, and it’s not like waiting for a clock to run down is any kind of hardship in the grand scheme of human suffering…

Anyway, I was surprised to find that my attitude has changed somewhat. I played two games yesterday that made me realise this. The first was against a 25k - who insisted they had only been playing since last week. Maybe I was playing really badly, either way I was unable to give them any serious trouble. The second was against someone I’ve never actually beaten, but I’ve always enjoyed playing. One time I came close, but then he timed out, due to internet issues,apparently, And then last night, the same thing. Could well be an unfortunate coincidence, but my guess is it probably isn’t.

So. I found myself thinking that though the 25k player had probably lied about their experience, they were still helping me improve, if only by capitalising on my mistakes. I resigned the game, but afterward rather wished I hadn’t - It would have been good to review. I was more disappointed at the escaper, whose name I won’t mention, because I’ve always enjoyed our games, even though I invariably lost them. I was looking forward to winning this game and I thought I had a realistic chance of doing so. Now I’ll never know…

Anyway, Escapers or Sandbaggers. I’d love to know why anyone does either, but given that they exist on here and we’re going to meet them, I’m curious about who people would rather play and why.

Sandbagger obviously, because getting beaten is always a learning experience. :)
Outside of sandbagging, the game is always a bit of an imposition on the stronger player. They may become bored and still have to tolerate your mistakes, your ridiculous overplays and your lack of judgement when you don’t see that you’re hopelessly down. So one way to look at it is that the sandbagger is unknowingly making a time investment in your skill.
With escapers, you might feel good for dominating the sore loser, but it’s really a shale taste when you realize that nobody cares but yourself.

What I dislike most about both sorts is that they tend to be antisocial and mute. You get the feeling that they themselves don’t enjoy it. When we play Go, is it not to have a good time? I’m not having a good time when there is a lack of respect either way between my opponent and myself.

3 Likes

Why not open a new subject: Do you prefer getting your stone captured by a ladder or a net?

1 Like

A ladder obviously ! :smile:

1 Like

Because then you get the ladder breaker. :wink:

Almost always a ladder because of the ladder breaker. However it is, rarely, better for you if they use a net because of the peeps.A good example is when your going to try and kill that group

I think it depends. A ladder gives a ladder breaker but the resulting shape is usually much thicker than if the stone was captured in a net.

Yeah - I think both behaviours are opposite sides of the same coin, and neither really seems to display a love of the game. On the other hand, for the most part people on here are a joy to play with, even when I’m being trounced. A friend recently said to me, in a different context, that one of the signs of improvement, is the sudden awareness that there’s a whole new dimension to what you’re doing that you were previously unaware of. It’s not so much that stuff gets easier, but you suddenly realise that you’re rubbish at things you never even knew about…

Anyway, I ramble, but I’m not going to apologise for the way my brain works. Recently a couple of people have wiped the board with me and then reviewed the game and pointed out where my plays have been poor. Sandbaggers provide almost the same learning opportunity. Admittedly you have to do the review yourself, but in the final analysis, they’ve devoted time to pointing out how your best efforts can be turned to garbage. I will admit that I don’t review my games anywhere nearly as much as I ought to.

So - wandered off the point there. You mentioned the mutual respect between opponents that makes a good time happen, no matter who wins. In a way the people who play with such a lack of - honour- for want of a better word, contribute to the pleasure you get from playing a game with mutual respect. When one of you places a stone that kills an important group, or saves one that looked doomed, and your opponent says “Nice play” or similar. That spirit of generosity and sportsmanship is given much of its value by the fact that it’s not that common in the world. Although it does seem to be less rare on here…

1 Like