Scoring system

i cant find how the scoring system works on rated games
is it win loss & draw

or are there bonus for points different etc

I may come over as a complete newbe but I don’t see how it works

many thanks
RG

@rockgod
On OGS draws can only be forced by moderator decision (very rare), otherwise the only possible outcomes of games are victory and loss. You can win/lose a game by counting, timeout or resignation. If a game gets abandoned/resigned before move 1, the result will not count.

The difference in points, should a game go to counting, has no effect on the ranking points awarded.

thank you
i know how the games are won & lost

the thing i dont understand is how you k rating is scored after the win or loss

sorry if i didnt make that very clear

yes ive read that
it doesnt make much sence to me.

does the score change if you beat a higher or lower player?
if win by a high or low score- or a win is just a win?
if you resign?
etc

every ranked game affects your ranking points. a win against a weaker player, will award less points than a win against a stronger player. in general, unlikely outcomes have more impact on rank.
additionally (as i understand it, and im not an expert, just a go-player), the glicko system takes streaks into account, so a winning/losing streak can have your rank change quickly.

how the game is decided does not matter, neither does the score-difference.

Unfortunately the Glicko based system is hard to fully understand (for me at least) therefore I cannot give you “precise numbers” for winning/losing, but all you need to know can be summarized like this I think:

• Score difference does not matter WIN or LOSE, no matter by how much

• Smaller boards have smaller impact

• Wins against a stronger opponents give you a higher boost and vice versa

• The complicated thing is that Glicko takes into account even games that took place later. (Better undersood on an example) Say you have beaten a 5 stones stronger player. Who then lost many games and became an equal rank to you. In such a case the system will retroactively “take away” some of the points you have gained for beating a stronger opponent as he probably was not true to his previous rank.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.