Shadow Teaching For 6k - 15k

What is Shadow Teaching?
do you know anime Hikaru no Go?
before Hikaru become a Dan player, he SOMETIMES let the ghost named Sai to play his game. At first, Hikaru just put the stone directed by Sai without thinking and he defeat the stronger player with Sai’ power. But after Hikaru learn about Go, he start analyse Sai’s move while he put the stone.
In shadow teaching, the student become a puppet, and the teacher become the shadow.

How this method Work
1. This method using online server (KGS, OGS, or Pandanet) + chat feature.
2. UNRANKED ONLY. as your opponent can get hurt.
3. You will start a game normally against anyone (max opponent rank: 5K)
4. When playing, I will give you the coordinates of each moves via Chat. Sometimes I will give you two choices of move (you should decide which one). Click the coordinate in the game you are playing
5. Follow all my move till the end. I will play calmly, every move is reasonable. but its not “follow it blindly”. *see no.6
6. You can (or should) try to justify/reason out in every 10 move in the chat. I will give the reason about that move.
for example:

• after playing move 20, you can ask me about move 17 (or other, between 11 and 20)
  • after playing move 50, you can ask me about move 45 (or other, between 41 and 50)
    Because it would take too much time, you can try to justify in the chat only 7 times for 1 game.
    7. Winning rate is 100%, but its not about win the game, its about how to improve your sense of every aspect (opening, move timing, influence, life&death, tesuji, end game move. etc)

Its FREEE!!
No need to pay. But limited only 3 games for 1 student. WHY? because its an unhealthy practice :smiley:

Get Bonus!
After each game you played, I will give you 1 Problem in SGF File (capturing stone, or attack problem, or defense problem, or end game problem, or tesuji - I decide)

CLOSED.
thank you for everyone and all students who helped this experiment.
the report will be available soon in [blogspam removed -- trohde]

3 Likes

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would be up for trying it although I am at the limit of your rank restriction (6kyu).
I will send you a pm

Thanks for the generous offer

Sounds like sandbagging using a proxy under the fancy title of teaching. Even the OP admitted himself it is an unhealthy practice :stuck_out_tongue:

I am skeptical, but we’ll see where it goes…

I just updated the number 6
thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Interesting idea, it’s always nice to see new teaching ways pop up.

A few things I would change.

1. Tell the opponent that they are playing against a player using shadow teaching. Make sure they are okay with it.
  2. Only tell the player what to do if they are stuck and don’t know what to do, or if a move could be big if they make/don’t make it.

I think this misses part of the “whole idea” of this - the idea is for the student to “get the feel” of playing it really “right”.

Not to have mistakes corrected (which we get during reviews anyhow) but actually to see and feel how it goes when there are lots of correct moves in a row, and being directly involved in that as a way of absorbing it better than just reviewing other people’s games.

1. Tell the opponent that they are playing against a player using shadow teaching. Make sure they are okay with it.

Yeah, that would seem to be an obvious courtesy. Otherwise as the opponent you are left wondering how you suddenly can’t beat this supposedly low ranked player - unpleasant!

2 Likes

I could be your opponent in that game. I swear im fine with it :smile:. We could also switch sides for a second game, if @k4tsu is in.

1 Like

Maybe the player could choose whether they want “full shadow teaching” or only “partial shadow teaching”.
Other then that, yeah, it also makes sense to want all the moves shown to them.
I think either way would be beneficial to the player.

3 Likes

I would like to do it but I am not yet 15k.:cry:

1 Like

boost to 15k with this [blogspam removed -- trohde]

1 Like

thank you, I will try that

thank you for everyone.

i think the danger here is that the student won’t really try to learn the intent or narrative behind a move. maybe if you flipped it around, so that the student makes the initial decision, and the teacher either passes it through or comes back with ‘don’t you think its more important to…’