Show rating change prediction (for win/loss/jigo) in Game Information

Sometimes, it’s motivating to see the rating change on win/loss for a game. :wink:

Would it be possible to add that to, say, the Game Information (that popup from the sidemenu)?

4 Likes

I agree! In general, I am not sure I understand how the ratings are updated (i.e. does the win margin matter?) This would be very helpful to understanding the system.

I don’t think this would be a good system. Firstly a lot of people have multiple games going at once, a result in any one of these would affect the ranking changes of all the other games. Sounds like a massive load on the server to ALWAYS be recalculating this information rather than just once at the end of each game.

Also, I can see it being a problem for some players if they can see “what could have been” either through getting hyped about the points they’ll get for winning only to be crushed when they lose, or so consumed over how many points they’ll potentially lose that they throw away a won position.

@BHydden, I think you misinterpreted OP. Or I did. Definitely one of us.

I’m pretty sure he means after the game, like how you can currently see this by finding that game on your graph, just putting that info in a more accessible place.

Well, actually, I really did want a prediction (while tha game is still open), same as DGS has this implemented. I’ve seen on the forum that there already is a feature request open for showing the rating diff. per game in history or more clearly put on the rating graph.

I agree about the multiple games, that is why it would be a “prediction”, not a fact - I would suggest this would need to be clearly communicated in the labels beside the number.

“Recalculating” is surely not a big issue? ELO formulas are quite simple. Ratings here on OGS are calculated based on ELO, right?

About those players getting consumed about the numbers, I don’t know - aren’t they getting consumed about the rating number already then?

I just liked this feature at DGS, and thought it would be a nice-to-have and wanted to see if anyone agrees.

@pbgarden What you suggest is fine, but OP said “prediction” which, as he clarified with, implies live mid-game predictions for every single game. (eww)

It depends on how accurate you want the prediction to be. Theoretically, the server would need to be continuously assessing and reevaluating every single game and how they could all interact and affect ratings (get a 6 degrees of seperation thing going here)

Currently, yes. But VERY soon we’re switching to Glicko-2 which is slightly more complicated. (this would also add a lot more variables to any rating-change estimator)

I don’t know about you, but I can roughly guess how much my rating will change based simply on both of your current ranks. Not sure what more a system generated guess could offer other than a lot of complaints to the mods about “the estimate and the actual change were different”

1 Like

Right. I understand, thanks for the clarifications.

Yeah, I agree mods definitely have better things to do. :slight_smile:

no, win or lose is only. Board size matters though.

1 Like

This thread is outdated since Jul 2017. At this point the OGS rating system changed to glicko2. The rating system changed in many aspects. All info in this thread about Elo on OGS is obsolete.

1 Like