Some 9x9 games appear to be getting wrong Komi

Color being random does not imply that anyone is “slightly weaker”, if I understood what you wrote.

Being slightly stronger than your opponent means just as much on a 9x9 board as on a 19x19 board. A slight difference in strength has far more value that who plays first, especially on 9x9, which is far less forgiving in local tactics than is 19x19. For example, on a 19x19 board, a player can win the game even though losing a sizeable group (especially in high-kyu games). This is almost absolutely false on a 9x9 board. This is just one reason why a slight difference in strength between the players has more impact than komi on 9x9.

The thing is this “slightly stronger” Actually has no effect we are talk .5stone/1stone stronger maybe even 2 stones stronger. Which really doesn’t show that much of a difference skillwise.

The color being random between two even rank player could mean that someone is slightly weaker because there are good 15kyus and bad 15kyu. So it does matter.

Exactly what does not matter? I have no idea at this point what you are talking about. Can you write any clearer?

5.5 komi is the correct amount, its what pros use and the server has a 50%-55% winrate with this komi on 9x9.

Being slightly stronger does not offset the first move from black thats why komi is set at 5.5.

The color being random between two even rank player could mean that someone is slightly weaker because there are good 15kyus and bad 15kyu.

1 Like

I believe I had this type of discussion with another person and I link them the server library show the win percentage for each color with ex board/komi its a shame its no longer around.

Just an error now.

This is what I’m disagreeing with, based on my experience playing hundreds of 9x9 games and studying many books. While there are many experts at 19x19, there are surprisingly few at 9x9. Sometimes I have played a dan-level player and done well or even won, due to their inexperience at 9x9.

If the ranking is valid, then two 15k players will each win about 50% of the games, by definition. Of course, one player could be better at life/death and worse at influence and connection. The point is that 9x9 games are dominated by subtleties that are only sometimes present in 19x19. It is these subtleties that dominate, not the advantage of the first move.

But I am repeating myself, probably because you are not listening.

Right your experience, I’m talking statistics not only my own games, the entire server.
Which showed a winrate for both colors being close to 50% I am listening but your experience isn’t enough merit to say komi is to low. a measly a couple hundred games versus thousand upon thousand games.

You can even use Waltheri's go pattern search - 9x9 games as a reference which uses pro games and high dan players from goquest as a database. The reason I rather not use this is because it doesn’t have info for kyu players which OGS server library used to show.

I agree with you. However this has been very extensively argued in another thread (I’m too lazy to look it up), and we are a very small minority in this argument.

Ill just ask this one question then why do you believe the komi should be reduce when it shows almost a 50% winrate overall. I’m dropping out of the discussion after this.

As my reply to @david265 implies, I’ve already dropped out of this discussion a long time ago (before this thread began). I was merely lending him some moral support.

Well all I can say is agree to disagree then, if one doesn’t like the komi used they can always have a one stone handicap in place while playing to set the komi to 3.5 or play unrank and use a custom komi.

That is very interesting. I wonder why my own experience (I can win games much easier as white) differs so much from the OGS-wide experience.

I was starting to think something was wrong with me–thanks.

Thank you for your support. Different individuals make for a richer group experience. I don’t mean to involve you in this discussion in any way, just thanks.

A one-stone handicap is larger than the current komi, so that is not a solution, if I understand you; but thanks.

Read my full post not part of it.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.