Spontaneous call for new Werewolf game

The latin wiki has Vampyrus. Larvae and lemures are ghost or spectres. For Zombie they use zombi, who’d’a thunk.

3 Likes

Perhaps we can keep the Latin discussion in the Language Lounge and use this topic to talk about the Werewolf game?

7 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue: Latin overflooooooooooow

1 Like

If someone who knows how to do it can split this off to its own Latin debate thread, I have a funny thing to post there - don’t want to derail this thread any further here.

So - back to the topic - can someone clarify exactly

• which extra roles are being added
  • is there a better cheat-sheet than the above wikipedia page, etc?

From playing this live, I know that the rules can get a bit confusing as to who can do what when, and we’ve totally had people blunder stuff and inadvertently give stuff away on Day X rather than Day Y.

Will there be a proctor or referee of some sort that players can DM and make sure they’re within the bounds of their role?

Yes, here is what I proposed:

It’s not final yet, so if you have suggestion for improvement, we can consider them.

Also, I will be the one organising everything, like @yebellz did last game.

2 Likes

split this off to its own Latin debate thread

Language Learners' Library We hang out here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I felt like it was hard enough with the few variables last time and no visual cues - the new rules seem to guarantee that the players will have no clue what’s going on by increasing the amount of chance and guesswork.

2 Likes

I agree. Let’s keep it simple and try to have fun, complexity probably isn’t welcoming to new players either.

1 Like

Alright, then what should be the rules instead?

I suggest waiting for people to express their interest to play first. Let’s not scare the fish. :wink:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I’m trying to think of a supermarket/online ordering version of the rules :smiley:

1 Like

Have you tried jumping in front of a grandma in the queue in the deli in a supermarket? Brutal.

1 Like

Are we starting about now then? Or at least we should have a poll on the setting and / or rules so we can start this evening?

2 Likes

Last call: Please confirm your participation in the next 30 minutes.

We are having a vampire theme this time.

@Vsotvep, I’m handing this over. Please give us the tentative rules so we can make final adjustments and start. But please keep the rules simple. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Reportin’ in o/

1 Like

I’m in. @Eugene, @S_Alexander are you in?

2 Likes

I’m still in. Maybe we could give Ruby a couple more days?

3 Likes

Here’s a super large poll about the rules. I’ll use “werewolf” and “village” even though the setting will be different in our game. Feel free to suggest changes if I missed something very important.

Each poll is multiple choice. Feel free to take advantage of that, or don’t. Of course, you’re free to change your vote later when you change your mind.

I have not included any third factions, such as the lunatic or the lovers, to keep it simpler.

I suggest we close the discussion on 2020-03-11T17:00:00Z, giving Ruby some time and allowing extensive pedantry over game rules.

Major game mechanics

Announcement of roles on death?

• Nothing will be announced
  • The alignment (villager / werewolf) will be announced
  • The specific role of the player will be announced

0 voters

Can players switch alignment?

• Werewolves can choose one player each night to convert to their faction instead of killing them.
  • Werewolves can choose one player every other night to convert to their faction instead of killing them.
  • Werewolves can choose one player once during the game to convert to their faction instead of killing them.
  • Werewolves cannot convert players.

0 voters

How many werewolves?

• 1 werewolf
  • 2 werewolves
  • 3 werewolves

0 voters

How many & which special roles (see polls below) will be added?

• No special roles
  • Inspection type only
  • Protection type only
  • Assault type only
  • Reviving type only
  • Inspection & Protection type
  • Inspection & Assault type
  • Inspection & Reviving type
  • Protection & Assault type
  • Protection & Reviving type
  • Assault & Reviving type
  • Inspection & Protection & Assault type
  • Inspection & Protection & Reviving type
  • Inspection & Assault & Reviving type
  • Protection & Assault & Reviving type
  • Inspection & Protection & Assault & Reviving type

0 voters

Inspection type

Which role do we add?

• Seer: each night chooses one player to inspect and gets informed about their alignment (werewolf or villager).
  • Detective: each night chooses one player to inspect and gets informed about their precise role.

0 voters

How is the seer decided?

• Chosen randomly at the start of the game, fixed for the rest of the game.
  • Players vote in secret through a PM with the game master on each day phase. If the vote is a draw, the game master chooses the next seer at random between the players receiving most votes. When killed, there will be no new seer elected.
  • Only the villagers vote in secret through a PM with the game master on each day phase. If the vote is a draw, the game master chooses the next seer at random between the players receiving most votes. When killed, there will be no new seer elected.
  • Rotates through the villagers: each villager is in a queue to be the seer. The queue is decided randomly at the start of the game. Each night the next villager in the queue will become seer. When killed, there will be no new seer.
  • Rotates through the villagers upon death: each villager is in a queue to be the seer. The queue is decided randomly at the start of the game. When the seer is killed, the next in line will become seer.

0 voters

Protection type

Which role do we add?

• Protector: each night chooses one player to protect. Any attempts to kill this player will fail.
  • Jailer: each night chooses one player to protect… by locking them up in Jail; this person will not be able to take any night actions (this could or could not include werewolves from being able to communicate during the night).
  • Doctor: each night chooses one player to protect. This player can not be converted by the werewolves (obviously only interesting if we have some kind of conversion mechanic as well).
  • Super Doctor: each night chooses one player to cure. This player will be converted back into a villager if they were a werewolf.

0 voters

Can the protector protect the same player twice in a row?

• Yes
  • No, every night should be a different person

0 voters

Can the protector protect themself?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

Assault type

Which role do we add?

• Triggerfinger: when killed, gets to choose one player to take with him to his grave.
  • Vigilante: has to option to kill another player at night. If they kill an innocent player, they themself will die of guilt as well.
  • Suicide bomber: when killed by the werewolves (one of) the attacker(s) will be killed as well.
  • Indiscriminate suicide bomber: when killed (one of) the attacker(s) will be killed as well, including when killed through a village vote (in this case the suicide bomber chooses one of the villagers who voted for them).

0 voters

Reviving type

Which role do we add?

• Reviver: can revive a player, the players keeps their original role (probably best restricted to once per game).
  • Necromancer: can revive a player, the player will become a villager if he was a werewolf before.
  • Novice necromancer: can revive a player, but the player will not be able to speak, and is only able to vote. The revived player will be aligned with the villagers.

0 voters

How often can the reviver do his action?

• Only once during the game
  • Every three nights
  • Every other night
  • Every night

0 voters

Setting

• Werewolves
  • Mafia
  • Vampires
  • Zombies
  • The Rainforest (Amazon / Papua New Guinea)
  • World War trench line
  • Roman settlement
  • Dwarf fortress
  • Futuristic cyber-reality

0 voters

2 Likes

I support pedantry for pedantry’s sake, but if the poll results are clear for some options, let’s keep them.

3 Likes