Technology- EXPOSED

Technology is REALLY convenient. We ALL agree on that. But the good sides it brings doesn’t erase the bad ones. Yes, technology gives us an advantage of still being able to be educated during pandemic. But…there’s a downside, too.
The best way to interact with people, let’s say…your friends, is to TALK to them. It might sound silly, like I’m teaching a two year old how to talk, but really. These days, technology is taking over most parts of the world. Not LITERALLY, it’s not like AI’s wondering around looking to prey on innocent human beings. The problem is that people are not talking as often as before. Believe it or not, even writing a letter is better then texting! And yes, texting is effecting A LOT. It’s not like texting is decreasing your IQ or anything, but interacting with actual people/human is part of human nature. Have you ever heard of the movie where a man was abandoned on a deserted island, he was getting depression, but then this volley ball came washing up the shore. He drew a face on the volley ball, named it, and survived without getting depression. That literally shows how communicating with actual PEOPLE is imprtant! Of course, this is only MY opinion. People can disagree, but another example is, (Sortta like a counter statement to my topic, though) People are using the computer to type passages and ideas instead of writing them down. And because of covid-19, even EDUCATION is now being done mostly online. Even though having technology has it’s good side, it also brings some bad ones. If you’re STILL not convinced, guess what’s causing Global Warming? Technology. Without cars, there would be a lot less polution. Without big factories, (creating products like electronic devices) there would be less Carbon Dioxide in the air. And guess what’s causing Global Warming? Carbon Dioxide. (Fun Fact: Cow Fart is actually carbon dioxide! Now, that doesn’t mean we need to kill all the cows,though) Now see how technology is harming us? It’s cauing most of the global warming, less human interaction, and more. Thanks for reading my opinion!
Have you ever heard anything about Global warming? If so, what?
What do you think of technology?
What are some good and bad things about Technology?
:grinning: :rofl: :laughing: :thinking:

What the fuck lol

5 Likes

I’ll try a different angle.

Paper is REALLY convenient. We ALL agree on that. But the good sides it brings don’t erase the bad ones. Yes, paper gives us an advantage of still being able to be educated during a pandemic. But … there’s a downside, too.

The best way to interact with people—let’s say … your friends—is to TALK to them. It might sound silly, like I’m teaching a two year old how to talk, but really. These days, paper is taking over most parts of the world. Not LITERALLY; it’s not like paper is wandering around looking to prey on innocent human beings. The problem is that people are not talking as often as before. Believe it or not, talking is better than writing a letter! And yes, reading and writing are affecting A LOT. It’s not like reading or writing are decreasing your IQ or anything, but interacting with actual people/human is part of human nature. Have you ever heard of the movie where a man was abandoned on a deserted island, he was getting depression, but then this volleyball came washing up the shore. He drew a face on the volleyball, named it, and survived without getting depression. That literally shows how communicating with actual PEOPLE is imprtant! Of course, this is only MY opinion. People can disagree, but another example is, (Sorta like a counter statement to my topic, though) people are using paper to write passages and ideas down instead of talking about them. And because of COVID-19, even EDUCATION is being done mostly through textbooks. Even though having paper has its good side, it also brings some bad ones. If you’re STILL not convinced, guess what’s causing global warming? Paper. Without paper, there would be a lot less polution. Without big factories (chopping down trees, which absorb carbon dioxide, and creating products like books), there would be less carbon dioxide in the air. And guess what’s causing global warming? Carbon dioxide. (Fun Fact: Cow farts are actually carbon dioxide and methane! Now, that doesn’t mean we need to kill all the cows, though) Now see how paper is harming us? It’s cauing most of the global warming, less human interaction, and more. Thanks for reading my opinion!

Have you ever heard anything about Global warming? If so, what?

What do you think of paper?

What are some good and bad things about paper?

4 Likes

I’ll bite. (EDIT: ninja’d by mark5000: I’ll continue writing, because I think mine is better. :smiley:)

Writing is REALLY convenient. We ALL agree on that. But the good sides it brings don’t erase the bad ones. Yes, writing gives us the advantage of being able to learn from knowledgeable people who we may never be able to meet in person, but… there’s a downside, too.

The best way to learn things—let’s say, the AG v. Lee Sedol kifu—is to MEMORIZE them. It might sound silly, like I’m teaching a two-year-old how to use mnemonics, but I’m serious.

These days, writing is taking over most parts of the world. Not LITERALLY, it’s not like books are wandering about looking to prey on innocent human beings, but the problem is that people are outsourcing their memory more than before. Believe it or not, even learning by rote is better than through a book! And yes, books are affecting a LOT. It’s not like books are decreasing your IQ or anything, but making knowledge a part of you is part of the human experience.

3 Likes

My father used to say, half seriously, or maybe three-quarters seriously, that writing was the worst invention in human history. Mind you, he owned about 12,000 books. He got the notion from his extensive reading of ancient literature. A number of Greek philosophers (among them Plato IIRC) were alarmed that writing was destroying human memory. Indeed they had a well-developed system for mass memorization, largely forgotten today, as had many other ancient cultures. Remnants of this still exist today in scattered bards who can recite the Illiad, Muslim clerics who have memorized the Koran, and similar accomplishments. The advent of computers has accelerated this degradation of memory, embodied and promoted by our “look it up” culture (see Jacques Barzun’s The Culture We Deserve). Woe is us. I think I’ll go read a book.

3 Likes

Have you read “The Memory Code” by Dr. Lynne Kelly? It’s a really interesting look at various ways in which oral cultures have recorded their knowledge in their memories.

1 Like

The title and author sound familiar, but I have not read it. Sounds like something that would interest me. Thanks.

1 Like

By this reasoning mobile phones are the worst invention in human history perhaps with writing second.

I prefer to think that we have simply moved the skill over to remembering more important things like joseki and fuseki. Though I can’t cite myself as an example. :frowning:

Perhaps to reclaim the skill, joseki training should be compulsory in early education.

1 Like

I hate writing.

1 Like

It’s bit hard to criticize my phone when I spend lot of time on OGS.

Still I lost a lot of communication with the surrounding people, like when I use transportation. And I feel shame to be less interesting as a cloth shop (That’s a very common thing I spy other the shoulder.)

2 Likes

I think we still have the same capacity for memorizing large amounts of information, but it takes deliberate application to do so, which most people will not put in in a literate society.

2 Likes