The Meta-Guide to Forums Guides

Why is this in the lounge and not in #meta?

2 Likes

I desperately need a forum guide of all forum guides that do not link to themselves. Could you make one for me?

6 Likes

:thinking:

Seems kind of tricky…

I did think about putting it there, but it’s kind of more of a joke. I don’t know, maybe some would find it helpful, while others would just think it’s ridiculous. I could always move it there later. For now, think of it as a special Regularati privilege.

3 Likes

Go memes winning on click throughs here as well :smiley: :partying_face:

• Regulati
  • Regularati
  • Regulatari
  • Regulatarii

0 voters

2 Likes

In the past, I also wrote Regularti, but wound up switching to Regularati, when I saw @teapoweredrobot use that and I like it more.

I’m glad that you brought up this excellent linguistic question, @bugcat. We really should nail down how we call ourselves. I’m open and flexible to change. Perhaps, you, Latin scholar, would know best.

I’ve preferred ending with the “ti” sound simply because it is more evocative of the reference to the Illuminati, however it may not be most linguistically appropriate

1 Like

I just like that regulatari ends in atari ^^

regulatarii is my slightly more serious answer, since that’s like a plural of Latin regulatarius, which suggests a person who “does regular things”, the “regular-stuff guy”.

3 Likes

Err, I did? I hope you don’t think I used it following some deep thought and linguistic analysis. Probably just whatever my phone keyboard came up with…

2 Likes

I liked regularti but you convinced me with the atari thing.

3 Likes

Cognoscenti → Regulascenti
Or Regulasente of course

2 Likes

These are all great ideas! I suppose a secret society could always be known by several names, of course. I hope that such differences would not lead to competing and contentious factions. However, I trust that our society shall prevail and not be divided by inane linguistic disputes. Not like that’s ever happened before, right?

Another satisfying connection is that the vast majority of Black Forest cuckoo clocks utilize a movement branded as “Regula

4 Likes

I wonder how our enemies call us.

2 Likes

“them”.

3 Likes

What is the time limit to edit a post (I mean a normal post, not talking about auto closing from suggestions categories, polls etc…)?

I believe it is one month for regular, non-wiki posts. However, mods can always still edit or change it to a wiki, so a work-around is to ask a mod to change your post to a wiki, make your edits, and (optionally) remove the wiki status (if you want to relock it).

4 Likes

@bugcat just created this great list of the various forum games that we’ve played:

I’m a bit on the fence of whether or not we call this a guide, if it does not have links. It is certainly a list and provides some meta-data, so maybe it is reasonable to consider it a guide. What do you think?

1 Like

Feel free to make an enhanced version with links if you want.

2 Likes

A road atlas has no links, being paper and ink, and yet is still a map: I would consider this a guide.

1 Like

I’ve added your index to the meta-guide above.

Would you be willing to make your index post a wiki?

On a side note, here is a great wikipedia article

3 Likes

By popular demand (re: @kingkaio, @Atorrante), this thread is now public in the meta category.

Here were my original thoughts

Uh oh, we’d better hide proof of any poorly concealed secret societies before anyone notices…

4 Likes