Unfair scoring

Nope, user mistakes: apparently both players ended the game by passing while it was far from finished. For example, the borders have not been closed, there is ā€œno manā€™s landā€ (pardon the gendered expression but you know itā€™s idiomatic), etc.

3 Likes

Donā€™t apologize for the idiom. Itā€™s A, as you said, an idiom and therefore can be used regardless of origin, but I believe ā€˜no manā€™s landā€™ refers to the area between two opposing armies, so even though ā€˜manā€™ can be used in a gender-neutral sense, it actually is perfectly logical to use it in itā€™s gender sense in this case. Note that an exception here and there to the general rule, men are the ones who fight and die in wars, does not mean that we should feel obligated to specify that such exceptions exist every time we refer to the people who fight in a given war.

1 Like

This isnā€™t the place for a discussion about warfare - but itā€™s a mistake to think that itā€™s only guys who fight and die. for starters as warfare gets more technologically advanced, civilian casualties tend to increase, plus not every army has a restriction on women in combat roles. Check this lady outā€¦

1 Like

Fair enough on your first point: ā€œThis isnā€™t the place for a discussion on warfareā€, but I never said only men fight and die. I explicitly noted that I was generalizing and made clear that I thought such generalization was acceptable.

1 Like

No problem. Not trying to infer youā€™re a raving sexist. Just pointing out that that particular generalisation doesnā€™t really stand up to scrutiny. Since itā€™s one that gets used to justify a lot of questionable arguments, I think itā€™s important not to let it go unchallenged. As far as No Manā€™s Land goes, they had to call it something and the suffragettes had bigger fish to fry.

As an aside, the British Army would say that the term ā€œNo Manā€™s Landā€ was a misnomer and that no such area existed on the battlefield. The position of the Command was that the German wire was where British territory ended. It was extensively patrolled and lots of people died there for no real tactical gain. On the other hand many survivors have said that the idea that we owned that bighted expanse of mud, had an uplifting effect on morale. I donā€™t know how that would translate into a Go metaphor, but Iā€™m sure thereā€™s one in there.