What is your goal for playing level in Go?

I highly doubt but who knows… more chance to have a 6d Korean or Japanese student.

I mention them because I think I did read that there was a 6d Chinese student in the UK.

But I don’t remember with clarity.

@Uberdude Did you ever hear about this?

https://www.britgo.org/results/2016/london

Don’t recall if he was Chinese 6d, but Qiuchi Li was 7d EGF level, beat Haylee former 3p. Qinmeng Zhang very strong too.

There’s also Li Shen, ethnic Chinese British player, 6d but not active.

Shaoyou Ouyang might have been 6d.

Zi Wang was 1p but gave up pro life to study at uni. I think he went to USA after.

3 Likes

There’s a specific thread in the forum: don’t forget to show your work and give some advice in there! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The article references Tygem. Is Tygem and Fox the same?

This seems consistent with a couple of very strong players I know. One is 5d in Japan; they are 2d OGS. And someone else who is 4d in China; their OGS rank is not established but they can easily crush my 3k friends. I should get them to play each other - would be like in ‘The Matrix’ (mouse): “Quick! Com’on! Morpheus is fighting Neo!” LOL :rofl:

1 Like

The article mentioned Tygem several times, so I assume the author referred to Tygem 5-6d, which is equivalent to EGF 2-3d according to the table Rank - worldwide comparison at Sensei's Library.

If the author meant that “you don’t need talent to reach that level, just practice reading, work hard on tsumego books and you’ll get there in a few years”, then I disagree. I know several people who are stuck at high SDK level or at most EGF 1d, despite practicing a lot of tsumegos, going to tournaments, taking courses, etc.

4 Likes

I agree, many players, if not before, reach their peak in this range of levels.

I don’t think that online and offline ranks are even comparable. Have you seen an average 2d egf match? And then have you seen an average tygem 5d match? The skill sets are different, but also in general the attitude is different. An average offline tournament player doesn’t “queue up” in a rush to cram 5 games an hour by blitzing them with less than 5 seconds per move, barely thinking about the moves and "trying things out”.
I imagine it may be comparable around high dan levels but anything below that just feels like 2 different games with only some overlapping skills.

1 Like

Of course, it’s like comparing 1500m runners with 5000m runners, there is a correlation but the measure is different. On the other hand, I don’t know the Tygem rank of the people I mentioned but I suspect they are weaker than Tygem 5d.