When and how you found out about the go forum?

Just wondering how everybody found out about this forum. (please comment) I was playing go on OGS for more than three years and found out about this forum around November 2019 after clicking on the forum button on the OGS home page. The first topic i created was a dumb question: “how to change sounds of stones.”

[edit: I found out that even the well known users joined around last year。 When was the forum created anyway?}

4 Likes

Well, my discovery wasn’t so adventurous. I saw “forum”, I clicked on it, and there I found it :upside_down_face:

Anyway, doesn’t sound dumb to me :wink:

8 Likes

The oldest forum topics are from 2014.

5 Likes

I found out when @anoek posted the correspondence games lost by disconnection post

@flovo I wasn’t even in primary school back in 2014 and I don’t know how to play go chess

5 Likes

Uhm… how did you even go to the forum website?

1 Like

@ginger2008 From the link on the top of the home page

2 Likes

It’s better to use quotes so people can know which post you are talking about rather than a mention.

1 Like

Re: correspondence games lost by disconnection

3 Likes

@ginger2008 I invited you to the topic

3 Likes

I found out that anoek had posted something about the Correspondence games lost by Disconnection (I didn’t really notice - only one game was affected), and clicked on the link. Here I am!

5 Likes

I knew about it, but was intimidated about it, but then when a mod couldn’t answer one of my questions, he recommended me to post it on the forums. So then I did, and now I like the forums :smiley:
I am still intimidated by the sitewide chat servers though.

4 Likes

I clicked everything on the top bar on my first day. I even have a message posted here on my first day on ogs, saying I wanna be spoon-fed info about the game by an experienced player.

7 Likes

Same haha lol

4 Likes

I just clicked around the website when I first joined and I found this.

2 Likes

Some people that I know in person that does OGS goes on Forums and after a while I choose to try it. I started a week ago and joined OGS the day after Valentine’s Day. That’s how it happened.

2 Likes

OGS forums go back. Like waaaay back.

Digging a little bit, I found the title of a thread I made with timestamp 5:18:18 PM 6/11/2010. That is, of course, much before discourse. This format is much more dynamic.

4 Likes

That makes me wonder, what technology did I use then and still use now?

3 Likes

There’s a desktop in my house that I’m pretty sure is older than that. I had to switch it to Ubuntu long ago because, and this is true, Windows XP was too heavy for it.

Even Ubuntu is now too heavy for the old fella. I think I last updated it in 2016.

I created my OGS account on that desktop. Good old memories.

3 Likes

I had become aware of the usefulness of forums when I was a kid playing an online game called Stick Empires (or something like that), and throughout gaming used them as my primary way of interacting with a community around a game

So naturally I went to the forums rather quickly for the same reasons, and only a year or so later discovered how welcoming the chat room was

3 Likes

This topic is going back up!