When does the "this player has recently timed out of a game" show?

I thought that, when a player times out in a correspondence game, their profile shows that until they play to completion (scoring/ resign) at least one more correspondence game, or something like that.
Can a player whose last two games show as correspondence lost by timeout not have the notification?
Just wondering, because it seems odd.

2 Likes

Are them ranked games?

1 Like

If you’re on byo-yomi and losing its always better to spend the last 30 seconds trying to find a comeback move instead of resigning right away. So losing by timeout is just normal. I don’t get it: why is timeoutting such a problem in the first place? On the contrary I think the people who never timeout should be flagged as “suspicious weirdo”.

1 Like

I think it is correspondence games because some people don’t want to sign up for a game with someone if they will just timeout. Live games are fine if you are on the game(although when I timeout of live games it is usually because I am too busy chatting or I am trying to multitask).

1 Like

@Gia Your understanding is correct. The timeout notice applies only to ranked correspondence games. It goes away when the person completes another correspondence game without timing out. The reason is that, in consecutive correspondence game losses by timeout, only the first loss counts for ranking. The rest of the timeouts are treated as annulled. The purpose of the rule is to mitigate an emergency case, such as someone seriously injured and unable to play. There are several vast threads discussing this, so I am going to stop here.

Edit: this is a reply to Gia, but the system is messing up again

4 Likes

There has been a bug on that for a month or so now tho, so dont worry about it

2 Likes

@Lys yes they are ranked games.

@Conrad_Melville thanks, if you think it’s a bug I can PM you the player, I didn’t want to raise the subject of if it should be so, just that I found it odd and it might mean something’s wrong. If not, no reason to discuss the person and all is well. :slight_smile: