Why do I have still have games going on if I am disqualified?

So, in the first tournament I ever took part in Fast Correspondence – January 2019 (B), I timed out in my first game due to careless time management and I now show up as “disqualified” in the tournament page.

Regardless of whether such disqualification rule is Draconian or not (as it there appears there has been quite a debate about it), I don’t understand why my other games in the tournament are still going on. If I’m disqualified, shouldn’t I automatically forfeit all my games? That is what would happen in a sport—you’re disqualified from an event means you can no longer compete, it does not matter whether it is a one-shot event or a multi-day one (like a stage race, say).

Perhaps “disqualified” means something different here?

Are you talking about round robin tournament games?

I had the same question.I to had that happen.If you forfeit all your games then people will get free wins.Though if you play and win the rest you may not get a trophy but you still learn and you can get better.I am glad that you dont automatically forfeit the game because i can learn and get better.If you have questions about what i am saying please tell me.

1 Like

It might be more accurate to say ‘Perhaps “tournament” means something different here?’

Many tournaments are simply a means of bringing players together for a particular style of play, in this case, fast correspondence. Ultimately, the tournament result/trophies are irrelevant. I think many people would be disappointed to have ongoing games aborted simply because one player was ineligible for a trophy.

1 Like

Ah, that’s well put. Tournaments are not really tournaments, I understand that. But then what is the whole point of been disqualified?
I confess I am quite puzzled

In many tournaments this serves the purpose of excluding disqualified players from further rounds. It is a very worthwhile rule in multi-round correspondence, for example, where we do not want the system starting new games for players that have already TO’d in that tournament. That is not the case in the example you have given. It may simply be that the rule is not tailored to different tournament types.

Nb. Post edited because I got my wires crossed on the example.

1 Like

Ah, I am starting to get it. In many-round tournaments disqualified means exactly what I thought it would. It’s just in one-round tournaments that disqualification behave strangely. Now it’s clear, thanks.

1 Like