Why is this suicide move?

just learned to play go today, got confused in the end, can someone help?

7 Likes

Welcome to OGS!

That black move would fill the last liberty of the black group. A group losing its last liberty is removed from the board. But in most rule sets it’s not allowed to do that to yourself.

5 Likes

wow so in this case i would get zero points? since i have 0 stones on the board…thank you

5 Likes

Yes, white gets the entire board here. But no worries, getting all you stones killed is a pretty normal experience on day 1 of your go journey. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome to OGS!

Please don’t infill your own territory like that. It is called “stalling,” and it is prohibited on OGS. If you find yourself starting to do that, then it is time to resign or to pass and accept the score if it is correct.

2 Likes

First of all, welcome to the community and I hope you come to enjoy this fantastic game that is, frustrating at times but quite rewarding!

I am sure you are well on your way to figuring this game out, and you may have already come across this, but here is something I found extremely useful when I was starting out (though it could be a little tricky, and that is normal):

Have fun!

6 Likes

Really? Even if a player sincerely thinks that this is the best thing to do? Which of course is wrong, but pretty normal for a total beginner. I’d say we should help new players understand why filling your own territory is not a good strategy rather than telling them it’s forbidden. (And without having read the rules I would say it should be forbidden only if it’s done intentionally by people who understand what they are doing.)

7 Likes

Take a look at the Interactive Way To Go tutorial, and you’ll soon see how the simple mechanics of the game give rise to the “two eyes to make life” rule

Welcome !

2 Likes

When you know better, it is stalling. On your first day, it is simply figuring out how the game works.

@tylerchen.me welcome to the server, if you would like more information on how to end a game we have a document here. :slight_smile:

Have a good day.

2 Likes

A player’s beginner status is always taken into account.

I helped this player by spelling out what not to do and giving a benchmark for when to resign or pass. Knowing “what” is the first step, knowing “why” can follow. I have, presumably, saved this player from annoying his opponents and being reported by them (players very commonly file reports regardless of an opponent’s beginner status). I have also, presumably, saved the opponents from being annoyed, and saved the moderation team the need to deal with such reports in this instance, consequently saving time to deal with more serious reports in a more timely fashion.

When you know better, it is malicious; when you don’t know better, it is inadvertent. In both cases, opponents often get annoyed.

1 Like