What is your style in GO playing? Free test here

Your style is influence-oriented

I bet you enjoy your games, but it’s hard to keep high winning percentage by playing for moyos only.
You may know that it’s easier to save the groups, than to attack and kill them.
Try to pay more attention on getting territory. Study games, played by Kobayashi Koichi, Yu Bin, Lee Changho, Paek Yeonghun and follow their ideas.

Sounds about right to me. I usually end up getting influence rather than territory early on, but I don’t know yet how to effectively use it. Perhaps I should work on that before I go about changing how I play. (Really though, at my level, just playing lots of games and any kind of study is probably best.)

I got “Passive”.

So I tried again, this time deliberately picking the most aggressive move I could find. I still got “passive”.

1 Like

I’m flexible but need to study yose and positional judgment. Wow so accurate. Anyone know where/how I study positional judgment?

I got the same (influence-oriented), and the criticism is pretty apt. Opponents who are good at invasion and reduction give me all kinds of hassle (and those who are not are often beaten heavily). At my level I didn’t even realise I had a style… maybe I don’t and this is confirmation bias. But it’s certainly food for thought.

2 Likes

I got flexible. I think this is pretty accurate and interesting, thanks LinuxGooo!

1 Like

:’(
Your style is greedy

You like territory so much and it seems that we have similar playing styles.
Nowadays lot of top players plays for territory too. You
may know that if you grab too much cash, you will have some weak groups
on the board. You must work more on Life&Death problems – they can help you to save such groups.
You may also improve your ability of defending weak groups by trying “Kill-all Go”: Place 17 handicap stones and try to live as white (even with a very small group). If you are not able to live inside – make the handicap smaller.

1 Like

Your style is aggressive

You like to fight, but sometimes it痴 better to keep your games simple, especially if you are leading.
If you want to become more rational, pay attention on the game records of these masters: Lee Changho, Kang Dongyun, Ma Xiaochun, Xie He.

good quote about Go - a game against yourself. I got “greedy” too. Some homework needs to be done.

1 Like

Emphasis on “can”, and I think one should never believe that this has already happened.

I got passive, which makes sense, since I started playing very recently and focus on avoiding mistakes instead of real strategy.

I enjoyed the quiz, however, I would have liked to see an other button. There were times that I would have placed elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.

"Your style is flexible

Your Go style is flexible: you can play for territory as well as for influence.
Usually you make such decisions according to the whole-board situation or the playing style of your opponent.
You may force him to choose the strategy he hates. For example, if he likes moyos, you can play for influence yourself, just for making him angry.
Your Go style is actually the best one.
You may improve your Go by studying different things, but I suggest paying attention on yose and positional judgment."

1 Like

The site also judges me to be an influence-oriented player, which is probably fitting for my theoretical approach to Go and how I learned it.

This is funny because recently tuerda, a dan player on GoKibitz, told me that my style is territory-oriented, because I am always worried about the points :smile:

Your style is aggressive

You like to fight, but sometimes it’s better to keep your games simple, especially if you are leading.
If you want to become more rational, pay attention on the game records of these masters: Lee Changho, Kang Dongyun, Ma Xiaochun, Xie He.

It was a pretty unexpected outcome. I really don’t consider myself an aggressive player.

Wow, i remember when i took this test in 2014 i was categorized as influence-oriented, which made sense, but even when i still love big ass moyos, i was now categorized as flexible :3

“Your Go style is actually the best one.” - so maybe some improvement has happened in these past 10 kyus :slight_smile:

Interesting to see this old thread resurface.

For those interested in this type of thing, check out:
http://gostyle.j2m.cz/webapp.html

This tool automatically reviews a collection of your games using AI analysis. It was created by the author of the Pachi go AI, and seems a bit more scientific.

6 Likes

Is there an easy way to download your OGS games? One by one could take a while :sleepy: