19x19 FOR BEGINNERS SERIES: Part 1: Sente and Gote

Hey - so thank you for your kind words. I’m sorry that you were the last person I interacted with before I had my ketchup-bottle burst of frustration, and I want to assure you that you were not the sole cause of it. Snark towards Gia aside (eye roll)- I can see you mean well.

As an olive branch - if the image below corrects your issues with the image you mention, I am happy to exchange it for the one in my OP (I hope I understood your notes correctly)

a1

I don’t want to change the other examples because - IMHO - TPKs won’t run into problems playing that large knight’s extension until they rank up and start playing against 12-15kyu, so let them have their fun until they learn to be more careful on their own. I don’t want the tips I give here to be some sort of “life lessons” they’ll keep forever. They are meant to be the monkey bars they’ll play on in grade school while they learn more advanced stuff from life experience.

I mean - take the 3 point extension: I used to play it, and then I had a couple of games where someone cut me in the middle, and I learned their inherent weakness hard way. Now I use the 2 point extension. However, I still see the 3 point extension all the time in dan games - the thing is (if I understand it correctly) dans more comfortable using it because territories get traded more often in high level games so that risk becomes worth taking.

I don’t want to sound un-appreciative, or indicate that my writing is somehow beyond criticism because it’s meant for TPKs or something. I guess what I’m trying to ask for - not just from you but from the OGS community at large is - IF you would like to step in and offer additional layers of analysis, can you phrase that in a way that TPKs would understand?

What sort of variations would they need to absorb to make their own decisions that the 2 point extension is safer than the large knight’s move? Can you walk them through those step by step - explaining any other high-level concepts you invoke as you go? Because just saying “look into any joseki” book will not help. Going to a joseki book when you are a TPK is like opening up Wikipedia without knowing what you’re looking for.

Thank you Adam. I want to assure you that I’ve gotten over my moment of frustration, and will keep working on future articles. I hear your reluctance, and I understand that this comes from having a full plate of duties not from a lack of desire to help.

Rather than asking someone to review articles, (where text needs to be read/edited) I might just ask for assistance on specific move-sequences from previous games (i.e. maybe 7-10 moves tops) and ask if that particular exchange illustrates that point well, etc. I might be tapping Kaworu_Nagisa on the shoulder for these types of questions as well (if Kaworu is willing) since they have also demonstrated a willingness to help.

In general, thank you everyone for your feedback. At bottom - my goal here is not to be Right, or feel good about myself - it’s to develop the most useful resource for TPKs that I can, so if I can harness the community’s feedback in a way that feels productive rather than frustrating, then I’m all for it.

Cheers
tonybe

5 Likes

Hi @tonybe,

I’m glad to see that you are back to writing and hope that you continue.

I also want to apologize for my earlier posts in this thread if they contributed to your feelings of negative response from the community. I really did not mean for any of them to be discouraging or suggesting that your material was not advanced enough.

I was just inspired by your posts to wonder about what really is sente and gote. However, none of that is particularly on-topic for beginners, and I really should have just started a separate post rather than drag that digression into this thread.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s all good. I’m writing about settling the stones right now. Hoping to have it done before the end of the week.

And yes, I felt your tone was much more generous and encouraging than the “someone is wrong on the internet” thing I was getting there for a bit :wink:

Absorbing notes! Processing! Editing! Crankin’ away!

cheers

3 Likes