2-3 kyu pushing for 1 dan

I actually think this is something people don’t do enough. When it says kifu by the way its referring to other professional games. Looking over professional matches and studying them has been a way to learn for a long time and its not done enough these days.

I think its because people don’t know how to learn properly. (i.e people misunderstand how to look at a professional game or any game for that matter). Whenever you are studying anything of any player you should always take everything at a pace.

Remember there is more to go then knowing good shape. Professionals play the way they do because they are capable of utilizing those shapes as weapons. If you simply play the shape a pro plays you will only poke your eye out.

Instead you should study the “idea” behind what they are doing and try to understand what made them come to that conclusion. Alongside tsumego and actually playing games you will eventually have the muscle to wield the shapes that they play in these games.

But, if you don’t look at stronger players games or other players games in general you end up in this endless loop of playing the same shape, same opening every game and you won’t know what’s better.

I would highly recommend an increase in those who want to learn to look over a few professional games a day be patient and expect long term results.

(For the record I look over at least 3 pro games a day to help me weaponize my reading ability and to put it into shape.)

4 Likes