2022: HOLD MY TEA! 🍵

I really enjoyed that video, and those Russian folk. So likeable, in a distinctly “Russian” way :slight_smile:

In Ukraine, territory captures you.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Communication never ceases for real. It may take time, but there is always a way, an invention, a shortcut. Even back when people needed five years to go from one country to the other, news were circulating. Rumours, too, but rumours are invevitable.

I think there will always be a way because people always need information, services, recreation and commerce to be available, one way or another. The information has always been controlled and will always be, but it will exist.

If the “intranets” become official, it will be a cultural shock to our way of thinking and acting (especially for the younger ones, who never used a paper dictionary or had to wait one week for a tv episode) but it will pass. People always find a way. Also, now that people have travelled and have family and friends everywhere, there is always some piece of information that will get out of the cage.

(Also, communication routes are paramount for black markets, gambling etc, so…)

6 Likes

Definitely not happening. It will destroy the IT market here within a week, because the majority of our IT business is done internationally. A huge chunk of it is actually within CIS but a no smaller chunk is directly with the “big west” like america and eu.
I currently work for an american pharmaceutical megacorporation and within our local branch each team is a mix of russians, ukranians and belarusians. This sort of mix has been the case for me all my career (about 10 years), but despite being a mix, all of it is “hooked up” by russia. If russia is gone from the internet, so will all of CIS’s IT.
It’s worth mentioning how big of a business it is here. Entry level positions in frontend development earn more than non-IT non-management positions with over 10 years of work experience. Senior positions (6y+ of exp) earn more than everyone else who aren’t entrepreneurs or investors, and actually earn more than a huge chunk of entrepreneurs if you consider the stability of the pay.
If all of that is gone it would be a major hit for the economy. Even just the business alone, not considering the impact the restriction of information and accessibility will have.

Corporations cutting off the russian segment is most likely a direct order of the western rulers who run this propaganda ensemble just so as to cease the opportunity to damage the economy of russia. I say this as a technician and not as a russian.

2 Likes

I don’t think big governments can order around big corporations here. It normally takes court orders and big fines to force big corporations to change policies.
So I think big corporations are doing it for other reasons in this case, such as PR.

That is if you do this officially. In the first days of the war starting there have already been entire propaganda scripts in play from both sides. All of this has been prepared in advance and was just waiting for the trigger. The overblown reaction from the west and especially from people completely oblivious to this ongoing war as well as the situation and the reasoning leading up to the invasion is a direct consequence of the western propaganda. On the other hand the “underblown” reaction from russians is the consequence of this side’s propaganda, except instead of exploiting the idea of virtuousness as seen on the west, we’re supplied with arguments for the invasion that make sense to the people who vague followed the war in the last 7-8 years, and can only be refuted/criticised by the minority who followed the situation closely. Either way this has all been prepared from both sides, that is for sure.

1 Like

Since about 2016 I feel this has been a recurring theme that has not been quite as accurate as many people would have liked…

3 Likes

I think it’s been hinted since a long time ago, most definitely before 2016 even. When they just started implementing their blocks around 2011 there have already been talks about the country-wide intranet. It’s also a very hot topic on habr (the biggest IT+compsci+maths+engineering discussion/article board in russia). In fact from the recent articles that I recall people were already proposing working solutions for bypassing that system, even though it’s not even implemented yet.
At the end of the day it’s a topic that comes up every time anything happens in the world. Anything at all. People always find ways to connect any geopolitical situation to russia “enabling” the intranet.

2 Likes

Serenity…

2 Likes
3 Likes

That was a VERY interesting story … people equating a post in a fashion magazing, covering an announcement from a model that she will be donating her earings for a good cause of her own choosing, as “calling for a 2nd Holocaust” is peak 2022 :melting_face:

2 Likes

In case anyone missed it in that article:

1. Hadid family is from Palestine. They kinda have the right to be vocal about it.
  2. Vogue blatantly censored a post that is really very easy to verify. Vogue may not be the pinnacle of journalism, but the case remains that they misreported a fact. And as someone noted, if Gigi VVIP Class A+ has her posts cut, imagine how much freedom of speech we peasants can expect.

Also, in my opinion, it’s not an invalid comparison.

2 Likes

I readily admit that I totally fail to see any connection of donating earings with “calling for a 2nd Holocaust”, so I am very interested to hear that point of view :slight_smile:

The comparison that Gigi has made.

1 Like

aaaaaaah. ok, slight misunderstanding there. :slight_smile:

On a funnier note then, the new delivery system after the new fuel prices:

4 Likes

Only mainstream suffering is allowed. Your side-story wars and suffering are for another time.

2 Likes

Ok, since we are Go players and we should be looking at the whole board, so considering that EU and USA cannot sanction both Russia and other countries at the same time, how likely is it that while everyone is focused over there, things will escalate elsewhere eventually?

• Unlikely - noone wants to risk this now.
  • Somewhat likely - it is a good chance to settle other scores while a bigger fight goes on
  • Very likely - It is a once in a century chance. The world economy is fragile at the moment and they cannot sanction everyone, right?
  • It is already happening in places we probably never even heard of.

0 voters

Russians are making fun of this statement because all that the ministry of defence has predicted so far has gone the opposite way. Also they’re making fun of the naming calling it “special operation with the use of highly potent explosive equipment”.

[Translation: the ministry of defence states that there will be no nuclear warfare]

4 Likes

I’m almost certain we will all perish because someone will spill coffee on some buttons while watching TV.

1 Like