2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

2022 video, it counts

3 Likes

He speaks like a real Italian, with his hands.

2 Likes

You’re a day late:

2 Likes

Even Shakespeare got the Classics Illustrated treatment. By the time I was studying Hamlet in school I had long since memorized the to be or not to be soliloquy (well most of it) and there’s just no way that was going to happen if not for those comics.

And it wasn’t necessarily the top tier classics that would exert the most far reaching influence. Among my failed but worthwhile attempts at fiction writing is a novella that reimagines an episode from the Frank Buck memoir Bring 'Em Back Alive. If you expose kids to a broad range of material good things are likely to happen. It doesn’t have to be caviar versus hot dogs all the time.

5 Likes

I’ve muted that thread :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

If I’m going to regret it anyway, I’ll just choose something unrealistic so opponent gets some regret as well.

Or keep searching, but I’m not that good. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

This is a very good point. If you create the good habit of reading and exploring ideas to children, they will eventually grow to read and explore, naturally and on their own, more and more material and ideas.

Sometimes it seems to me that a lot of people just do not want the children to get an education. :confused:

For 2022? This seems appropriate and VERY 2022:

1 Like

When I was 15 we mostly studied classic literature, but also (a translation of) this book, which most of us appreciated.

martian

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

3 Likes

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abk1781

This measurement is in significant tension with the standard model expectation.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abm0101

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01014-5

2 Likes

I guess that’s the bane of having some “heavy-hitters” in literature and a few centuries of “experts” blowing them to mythic status 
 :roll_eyes:

Not to mention the God-damn poetry that was interspersed in the literature class like Karyotakis’ “amazing” poem “the valley and the graveyard” (that is the actual title, I am not kidding).

At least Tolstoy wrote some books on children’s tales, folklore stories and fables. It is his only book that I own and I remember that I liked it as a kid. Were those included at least? :slight_smile:

More 2022:

Yeah 
 CRYPTO for walking 
 :face_vomiting:

I don’t remember. Maybe when I have an opportunity, I’ll dig up school textbooks I’m sure I have somewhere. I remember surprisingly little from school program, but one thing is sure: if it was interesting, I’d remember it.

We of course were forced to memorize and recite poetry, I always hated it, because memorizing it was hard for me. But there was one interesting poet that accidently made it into school program as a minor figure - Velimir Khlebnikov. At least he was trying to do something. Unfortunately, poems are mostly untranslatable, doesn’t quite get the right feeling.

A hundred and ten thousand seals weep—
their eyes are human seeming,
these languorous deities of water,
furred lamentation murdered in ocean
while earth turned round
in twenty-four hours,
and closed their eyes.
The encircling sea is Arctic.
See, the humanoid descending from heaven
might have been the seals’ Buddha,
might have been even Mohammed.
Wasn’t, and the floe is full of blood.
I will weep with the seals,
feel their pain.
In a blood-filled puddle on the ice,
humanity’s heaven
stained with earth.

3 Likes

I won’t post the thing because it was incredibly annoying, but following up that polyglot video I chanced upon those comments elsewhere:

1. We shouldn’t use the word linguaphile, because words -phile are connected to vices and other acts that are condemned and it’s not right to associate those with learning of languages.
  2. We should never claim fluency to any language that isn’t our own because this is disrespecting that culture and appropriation.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against the wall to momentarily forget how stupid people can be.

10 Likes

True, but as you said it was a very honest effort.

now THAT is 2022 indeed :smiley:

I love it when originally nice meaning ideas are stretched to oblivion by people that have too much free time in their hands and are disconnected from reality.

I am honestly waiting for them to eventually rally and protest against the cultural appropriation of the latin alphabet by the English language :rofl: BACK TO RUNIC SCRIPT FOR THEM!

1 Like

Not that we aren’t having enough entertainment already but

2 Likes

Yep, depressing election. Not so popular president facing two far-right and one far-left opponents. Mainstream left or right candidates have no chance.

5 Likes

I haven’t read any of Tolstoy’s novels, but I read a collection of his novellas and thought they were outstanding (especially “The Death of Ivan Ilych”).

2 Likes

Estimations so far:

• Macron (current president, center-right): 28%
  • Le Pen (far-right): 23%
  • MĂ©lenchon (far-left): 22%
  • Zemmour (far-right): 7%
  • PĂ©cresse (right): 5%
  • Jadot (green): 5%
  • Lassalle (center-left?): 3%
  • Roussel (far-left): 2%
  • Dupont-Aignan (far-right): 2%
  • Hidalgo (left): 2%
  • Poutou (far-left): 1%
  • Arthaud (far-left): 1%

Macron will face Le Pen at the second round of the election, on April 24. I predict that Macron will be reelected without enthusiasm, maybe 60% - 40%, and a high abstention rate.

5 Likes

Since we’re travelling back in time, can we also fix that pandemic thing of 2019?

On a serious note, I’ve never seen so many candidates at the latest stages of a big election. Usually, there is a big competition early on but when the deadline approaches (1 or 2 years before the election) the numbers settle to max four. I’m perplexed.

4 Likes