2022: HOLD MY TEA! 🍵

Astronomy

Astronomers creating the first ever image of a black hole using Ubuntu

In April 2019, astronomers took the first ever image of a black hole, utilising a network of eight linked telescopes and an algorithm developed by computer scientist Dr Katie Bouman. During the BBC documentary that followed the team’s work, we caught a glimpse of the computers in their mission control centre, and several were running none other than Ubuntu. We were delighted to see our operating system playing a role in such a momentous event.

https://ubuntu.com/blog/2004-to-20-04-lts-ubuntu-in-popular-culture

11 Likes

I am always a great proponent of the concept of making useful stuff available for free, so for all of us that want to get rolling, here is something useful that just came out:

Hope you’ll find even one of those exercises useful :slight_smile:

5 Likes
6 Likes

Screenshot_20220513-092223_Chrome

5 Likes

Well, if we’re doing cats and Greece

3 Likes

YES, definitely! My favourite exercise is holding that coffee mug right in front of me.

6 Likes

Finding the right pillow to rest my wrist whilst holding the cup sprawled over the couch was a journey.
I feel proud that I have actually found 2.

4 Likes

This thread is about holding tea.

7 Likes

LOL, I totally forgot :joy: thanks for reminding me!

So… uhm, sry, not sry :sweat_smile:

:white_circle: :white_circle:
:white_circle:

I’m not intentionally being non-conformist, it’s just that I can’t help it—and don’t care much.

3 Likes

It gets worse … apparently at some point they were ordered to fall down and pretend to be cats/tigers playing with their paws:

What on earth did I just watch? :face_vomiting:

I served 16 months and didn’t get one day off due to sickness, so all my sick leave went to waste, but I swear that I’d call sick for that day. Who thought that this was a good idea? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

The headline gets cut off in the preview. It continues as “…when he works from home he gets distracted by cheese”

5 Likes

So eat the cheese Boris. Eat the cheese, and when you’re done return to work. Or don’t - it’s up to you how to best manage your own energy, momentum and productivity. We don’t need you to “clock in at 0900” and “clock out at 1700”, what we need are results. If you’re delivering those results on a monthly basis, I’m completely ambivalent as to how much cheese you eat, or the schedule you decide eat it on.

I am super grateful that for all my working life I’ve had pretty flexible work schedules. I didn’t go looking for it, and don’t deserve it any more than the next person.

Gary Larson, The Far Side:

2 Likes

Two new members recruited: Putin receives €50 Amazon voucher from NATO

For each mediated member there is an Amazon voucher worth 25 euros. NATO’s referral program is having an effect. Thanks to Vladimir Putin, Finland and Sweden will soon be two new countries in the military alliance.

BRUSSELS / MOSCOW – “Wow, cool, thanks! I can really use that now that I’ve destroyed our economy lol,” Vladimir Putin explains while looking at the voucher. The war in Ukraine fully paid off for him. “Alexa, how much does a new long table cost?” What, 100 euros?” He stares thoughtfully at a map of the world.

“I still have to recruit two more members, hey Shoigu, look it up on Google Maps for the fastest route to Estonia, but via Moldova. And how many tanks did the Ukrainian peasants actually leave us?”

“50 euros, that is the equivalent of 50000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000” “What should I buy in the meantime?” he asks his last remaining advisor, who is sitting at the other end of the table and whose answer is delayed since he is three time zones away. Before the advisor answers, the Kremlin despot is already adding item to item to the shopping cart.

"Maybe a self-stirring coffee cup? Because oe24 writes I might have Parkinson’s and what if I can grab my spoon so well? Or look there! A BBQ apron with a fun six pack print. That would be great for the next propaganda video!” laughs Putin.

But then the shock. “3.99 shipping costs? Mr. Bezos shouldn’t play, otherwise I’ll march into space with him in no time at all," he gets annoyed and removes the organic CBD oil from the virtual shopping cart. After entering the “NATO-REFERRAL-2022” coupon, the Russian dictator sits back contentedly and rubs his hands. “I keep saying it, we’re winning the economic war!”

Convinced by the offer
In any case, the recruited members are also satisfied. “Following our initial skepticism, Mr. Putin made a lasting impression on us about the advantages of a defense alliance,” explains Finland’s Prime Minister Sanna Marin, referring to the image of a completely destroyed Mariupol.

Finland and Sweden save themselves the activation fee for their membership as part of the recommendation. The NATO letter of protection is also free for one year. Also included is the popular Nato voucher booklet, which offers great discounts. “Wow, when you buy three F-35 jets, you get a fourth one for free! And look, even free admission to the Schönbrunn Zoo and 50% off a ticket to the Roncalli circus, wow!” laughs Marin and clicks on “Add to shopping cart”.

https://dietagespresse.com/zwei-neue-mitglieder-angeworben-putin-erhaelt-von-nato-50-e-amazon-gutschein/

7 Likes
1 Like

Yes, I know it’s in Greek.

1 Like
1 Like

where do I even begin

1 Like

Well, technically I think the Japanese town is responsible for the loss of money, not the gambler.

1 Like

They are responsible for their mistake, no one said they aren’t.

Tbh my first thought was “two weeks to blow that amount in gambling? Too long”.

Still, if money fell on my lap by clearly a mistake, I would seek to return it.

But maybe that’s why I’m not going anywhere in life :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like