2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

Personally, I think changes are irreversible, mostly because it has happened in the past (Ice Ages etc) without any of the modern day causes.
However, I like to push for minor improvements, because they have measurable impact in day-to-day life: less yellowgray days in the city, less paper trash in the street, less bottles on the beach, less heavy metals in our housing materials, more cool gadgets and DIY fun.

1 Like

I think Kurzgesagt addressed this, and they are quite realistic and bitter in some of their videos. But the danger of being too pessimistic about climate change, is that people will become complacent and just give up. Cynicism isn’t going to change the world, but giving people the idea that there’s still a bit of hope, but that action needs to come now and that we should try our best; that just might help enough to actually get stuff moving.

It’s too late to prevent serious problems caused by climate change completely, but it is without a doubt not to late to change our course to go from the current worst case scenario to the current best case scenario. If you have the choice between losing a finger or losing a hand, you’d surely choose the finger, right?

4 Likes

I didn’t, from the parts I watched. I will watch all of it, but there is a lot of bad faith/practice here and as a person that loves nitpicking and arguing, I can tell easily when someone crosses the dishonesty line while pretending to be in the clear.

First, and most important of all, BadEmpanada does a great disservice to science by quoting EACH research as an indisputable and unavoidable FACT, which is most definitely NOT the case and that is unacceptable to be done with a straight face.

On finer details (timestamps):
2:21 - He declares that the sentence “we are not doomed” is a strawman. He does not explain why, but “strawman” is a magic word now in the internet that really means “I DO NOT LIKE IT, OK???”
2:58 - He declared that not outright declaring impending doom is “toxic positivity”, just on his say so and leaving no room for argument that this is now FACT, even though it is his PERSONAL interpretation
3:48 - He claims that “throughout the video they do make some token acknowledgements that climate change is bad and yes, we aren’t doing enough to stop it, BUT 
” but he thinks that is not enough. HE THINKS. Again though he presents this as a done deal.
5:11 - He goes on a spiel how he THINKS that the use of the word “ambitious” is actually gaslighting the viewers to thinking that 1.5 degrees “were too much to expect and a great goal” were in fact it means that “it was too ambitious to expect that we’d do anything about it”. He condemns the usage of the word, even though the video explains very soon after that it is in fact the people that have money and power that seem to not do much about it. But BadEmpanada does not stand for such lukewarm statements and wanted scathing political damnation manifestos from a channel with cutesy graphics. :thinking:
6:50 - he doesn’t like the phrasing “the extremes will become more extreme and ecosystems will become under pressure” 
 well, too bad for him, but that is not false. Maybe he wanted details on the “extremes”, but that doesn’t make the statement wrong.
7:08 - oh now he is nagging about “why only a dead elephant” 
 no numbers he said, nothing more specific he exclaims while he forgets that the channel he is talking about has the “in a nutshell” it is title and it is a channel about making science issues available and palatable for people that normally would NOT watch a science video, ergo they obviously cannot get in a lot of detail. That’s the reason Kurzgesagt has 18.5 million subs and PBS spacetime 2.5 million. Not that even PBS SpaceTime goes into the kind of details this person expects, but hey.
8:20 - The original video, after talking about the trillions in damage (which is OBVIOUSLY BAD, unless you are a child and do not have a concept of money yet, but BadEmpanada probably considers everyone a total moron that cannot infer or extrapolate anything from what they hear) mentions that “hundreds of millions of people will need to leave their homes”
8:26 - The original video says “THE APOCALYPSE BEGINS” 
 not even THAT is strong enough for BadEmpanada as we will see.
8:35 - The original video says “Billions may perish, leaving the rest on a hostile alien planet”
8:41 - BadEmpanada calls all that “vague and wishy washy references” with little reference of what that actually means for human beings 
 “billions may perish” wasn’t enough apparently?
8:50 - BadEmpanada goes on a small rant on why the original video mentioned the trillions of money first 
 well, they started on the LIGHT consequences FIRST, since “billions may perish” comes afterwards. NOT for our BadEmpanada. He claims that “apparently the monetary cost is more relevant than the effect on human lives” 
 again this is just what he personally chooses to interpret from the content, but he attributes HIS thought to the content of OTHERS, as if he could read their minds.
9:11 - Here he clearly shows how much in bad faith all this video is being made with. His caption mocks the original content, even though the original content clearly said that “BILLIONS may perish” 
 maybe BadEmpanada forgot about it? Maybe :wink:
9:54 - And now BadEmpanada starts the show, where he is reading articles and cherry-picked passages from research - which we do not know if they are peer reviewed (he at least provides titles and links for us to do so) and we all know that plain articles on science are always tuned towards click-bait sensationalism, but he presents all of that as FACTS 
 not as predictions, models or probablity, but FACTS 

BUT HERE IS WHERE IT GETS FUNNY:
At 9:57 he has a snippet from an article up. at 9:59 he takes the snippet down and says that “complete and utter disaster is going to unfold in many regions of the world that billions of people call home” but WHO says so? Not the article :wink: If you click on it and search for that phrase, it is not there and if you read the article is also says that “The researchers say that going over 1.5C for one year isn’t the same as a sustained rise where temperatures don’t fall below this figure. The likelihood is that if it is exceeded in the next five years, it will fall below 1.5C again.” but he IGNORED THAT :melting_face:

So, not only he cherry picked the article, but he also baited and switched his audience making it seem like the BBC article was making that claim about “complete and utter disaster” where, in fact, that is HIS ALLEGATION

If that is what he does to 1-page articles, I wonder what he does to multi-page research. Well, we do not have to wait for long:
10:31 he produces various snippets from a research: “Extreme heat waves under 1.5 °C and 2 °C global warming, Alessandro Dossio, et al.” 
 that is all he has in the description, without a link, so I went and found it. Here is the research in pdf:

As always in order to read a paper you need to check the methodology. Things mentioned in it that need to be considered, but our friend BadEmpanada IGNORES (not merely glosses over, as he accuses Kurzgesagt):

• " An univocal and optimal deïŹnition of heat wave is still under debate" (but it is a scary word so BadEmpanada uses it freely :wink: )
  • " In this study, we use the results of a high-resolution global atmosphere model to investigate the change in magnitude, frequency, and extension of heat waves at 1.5 ◩C and 2◩C warming levels" ( so it is just a model, a prediction, but BadEmpanada presents it as FACT - never does he say “PROBABLY” while reading this. ) The scientists go on to explain how they TUNED their model and it is obvious from their explanation that there is an amazing array of different tunings and data and extra material and methodologies that could be included or altered. Yet, our friend conflates a predictive model for unavoidable reality. At 11:10 he even says “Tens of millions will DOUBTLESSLY DIE” while reading another research. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

But if you want a very obvious point that this person is misrepresenting whatever does not fit his talking points, 11:36 he claims, and I quote, “agricultural exports being disrupted by one single relative small country” 
 which he “forgets” that is in the top five in the world in wheat exports, while Russia is number one.

But BadEmpanada pretends that war and trade sanctions amidst a global recession and inflation crisis are not very important.

And around here I’ve had enough with him and I think I’ve demonstrated that if I were to give his video the same critical treatment he tried to give the original, we’d need 3-4 hours with me analysing his overzealotry. :melting_face: :innocent:

Now:

After all that I can safely say that at least for the minutes I watched he tried HARD to sell his own kind of sweet candy. :wink:

And when you go 10 out of 10 minutes selling candy, I find it highly unlikely that his tune and quality got any better later.

No, but he had a video with some actual research provided in a much more scientific way that depicts what the majority of the models project and he clearly explains that they are models, not nostradamic texts 

Quite so :slight_smile:

Or they will just forget or disbelieve about it 
 like they did with the nuclear warfare/winter issue. That is a far more likely outcome :confused:

I see, maybe it’s not that great of a video then.

But that’s not the result of being too pessimistic, is it. It’s more like getting used to it, and thinking it’s gonna be fine. Accepting it as external parameter. And maybe being born into the world where it’s already a fact.

And with climate change it seems a lot of people aren’t really pessimistic. You know, making kids, building their own future, bombing other people. I’m sure there’re people whom it really brings down but I don’t think it’s that many.

How many people would answer “yes” to the following questions?

1. Does global warming exist?
  2. If the answer is “yes”, is it caused by human activity?
  3. If the answer is “yes”, would you accept 20 years of economic crisis now to make necessary transformations? Would you accept an important price rise of food, energy and manufactured products right now?
  4. If the answer is “yes”, would you accept to make that effort even if some other large countries don’t ?

My bet is: much less than 50%. That’s why governments aren’t doing much and passing the problem to the next generation.

3 Likes

Maybe our social skills have evolved to be useful in groups of 30 people or so. Totally inadequate for a globalised world in which problems can only be solved by cooperation of billions. That may be an abstract reason for being on the path towards extinction or at least collapse of civilisation.

During most of human evolution, our life expectancy was about 30 years. We are not adapted to dealing with problems that will arise more than 30 years in the future.

I think the sad part of these two points is that the poorest of people have to feel this effect more than anybody in charge of the massive companies responsible for the largest fraction of the pollution for the last century. The people that have polluted and made large profits might have to change their business model, but it won’t impact them at all, they’ll be at no rush to change things unless they’re forced to.

2 Likes

Complaining while telling other people to pay is easy, but it won’t work. Large companies are not abstract entities, they pollute because they use fossil fuels to produce goods that average consumers buy. If they stop using fossil fuels, then costs will rise, and manufactured products will be more expensive. In short: (relatively) poor people in rich countries (also) have to make an effort now. If they don’t,

1. their children will be even poorer
  2. Billions of people in poor tropical countries, who are not born yet, will suffer/die/become refugees.

Probably most of the population in rich countries doesn’t want to be impoverished now in order to avoid point 2.

You can dismiss what I’m saying as complaining if you wish, and that me complaining won’t effect any change by itself, sure. Literally what I write is as “easy” to write as what you’re writing lets be honest.

They’re not abstract entities is correct, they are a reasonable number of super wealthy people behind fossil fuels that have spent a century profiting off of it.

It’s pretty funny really that when large amounts of irreprable damage have been done to the climate before you were born you’re expecting that people should have to

while large fossil fuel companies (the people that have profited behind it), and companies (people are behind that too) that would have very high pollution in their production process will basically get off scott-free.

So while

I don’t think it’s unjust (if laughable at its unrealisticness) to think that some kind of heavy pollutions tax, applied retroactively, and some sort of wealth readjustment in the world wouldn’t go a much longer way than solely impoverishing people at the lower end of the scale.

2 Likes

Just to make things clear, I didn’t aim at anyone in particular when I said that “complaining is easy”. I just said that most people who complain don’t wan’t to pay. And I didn’t say I wanted to “solely impoverish people at the lower end of the scale”, but that everybody has to make an effort (rich and relatively poor people).

And also remember that most people who are considered as poor in Western Europe are richer than average Africans.

I feel like there’re some things that could be done, that wouldn’t hurt regular people. But they aren’t being done anyway because someone somewhere is getting rich. So I feel like it’s not really the question of people not willing at this point. Thus saying “oh, we could’ve done something but these people, they just aren’t willing” is off.

4 Likes

#eattherich

2 Likes

Here is a Dutch poll about climate change from 2021 (auto translated to English): Ipsos NOS Klimaat.nl.en.pdf | DocDroid

Some excerpts:

In essence, there are not many who deny climate change exists or deny that human activity causes it. Also there seems to be strong support to combat climate change.
People are prepared to take personal measures, but they also worry if they can afford it. And many feel that companies and governments aren’t doing enough and that the burden is not distributed evenly and fairly.

5 Likes

“Some things”, certainly, but if we really want to reduce global warming to +2°, then “some things” won’t be enough, and we need to do “everything we can”. And this includes hurting regular people now, for instance

• carbon tax (and thus higher energy prices)
  • developing local production (so fewer cheap imported products)
  • developing organic agriculture (hence higher food prices)
    etc.

Yeah, but my point is that even these things aren’t done. Which indicates it’s not really about regular people not willing.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but lets be clear, if someone is just about making rent has to pay 10%-15% more on

it will hurt much more than the same increase to someone middle or upper class in terms of wealth. I imagine both a flat increase will be likely to happen and will be the most unfair.

Really you can’t charge people differently on things like food and energy, but you could make really unrealistic commodities more expensive or taxed. You could also change how income tax bands work to alleviate some stress on people on the low end.

^^ - this

and while that could well be true it doesn’t really help the people in western Europe to feel better and accept that they might have to sleep on the street does it?

“Hey, you’re sleeping on the streets of Berlin now, but you’re probably wealthier than some people in africa. Have a good night!”

1 Like

I’m not talking about making the life of homeless people more difficult
 I think that necessary measures would increase prices of food and energy, but I also believe that we should have a welfare system so that everyone’s basic needs (housing, food and health) are fulfilled. So probably the income of the middle class will decrease the most.

1 Like

The most popular personal measures here are the ones that could actually save you money by wasting less:

(from the poll I shared above)

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder what would be the result of a similar poll in the US.

2 Likes