Accidentally resigning while winning

sounds like something wrong is with your opponent

6 Likes

I donā€™t want to name names, for obvious reasons, but I remember the margin to be pretty elastic for certain players. Iā€™m sure (and vaguely remember) they left many opponents fairly sandbagged, but I found it normal because a person who has that playing style will have a volatile rank. I still donā€™t believe they were supposed to restrict their games so as not to have an ā€œunacceptableā€ rank.

Iā€™m not good enough to judge, but Iā€™ve won against stronger players and lost against ā€œweakerā€ players, within 5 ranks difference or something. It happens.

Would you say players should only be allowed to play ranked games only when they pinky swear they are at top form and they will make no mistakes uncharacteristic for their rank?

Iā€™m not saying to let OGS be an unregulated mess. Iā€™m saying itā€™s a bit of an overregulated mess.

3 Likes

I donā€™t think I understand this. Someone who was 5k canā€™t permanently play like 8k? Maybe they are older and more tired?

2 Likes

It kinda sounds that way haha. I ask again, where do you propose OGS draws the line?

Iā€™m a DDK, I canā€™t even judge myself.

What is a rank I could never ever realistically beat?

1 Like

dan

2 Likes

Okay, letā€™s say 15 ranks is a good margin then?

1 Like

The OP says he is 5k but could be 2k if he didnā€™t resign early. That assumption is yet to be proven of course.

1 Like

I could be 10k if I learned my corners (no offense to OP).

If they resign early, maybe they donā€™t have the endgame that is actually fit to 2k? Or maybe they have some strengths, some weaknesses, and it depends on their opponent which will come on top?

I mean, Iā€™m notoriously scared of invasions, I will lose against any weaker opponent who dares.

(OP, Iā€™m just using as an example and not mean it personally for you, I hope you donā€™t mind)

1 Like

I think itā€™s doable to judge if the person is sandbagging in order to play against weaker opponents. If I was regularly playing against 8k players and crushing them I would understand that there is a problem. Their experience is being negatively impacted.

But I very rarely play anyone worse than 4k so in my case, thatā€™s not a problem.

It makes sense to write the algorithm such that it looks at if youā€™re resigning games where youā€™re ahead, or resigning in the early game, because those are clear signs of sandbagging, but itā€™s not the full picture. Perhaps the algorithm could be improved to look at if the player is also regularly playing against weaker players.

As for the argument that my resigning habits throw off the ranking system, I donā€™t think that is the case. As far as the ranking system is concerned, I am legitimately a 5k. Whatever the expected chance is for a 5k to beat a 3k, is also the expected chance for me to beat a 3k. Otherwise 5k would not be my rank. Itā€™s not relevant to the ranking system that some of those games against the 3k will be resigns from a winning position.

3 Likes

The thing isā€¦ there is no sandbagging detection algorithm AFAIK. If moderators have reached out to you, itā€™s because youā€™ve been reported (probably by an opponent who had a bad experience)

1 Like

there are sandbaggers who like to play vs even opponents while having ddk rank, for prank purposes

You are correct, my endgame is abysmal, probably because I tend to avoid it by resigning :wink:

2 Likes

Tbh, I think this is part of the problem, because this is not at all what Iā€™m saying. For some reason it sounds like that, but I donā€™t think the misunderstanding is on my end.

Fair enough. I suppose playing against someone who is a couple of stones underranked and losing can be considered a bad experience if you have a somewhat unhealthy relationship with your internet points.

But at that point, we are basically saying it should not be allowed to be a couple of stones underranked, which I think is going way too far. I mean, Iā€™ve swung 2 or 3 ranks before simply by having a good or a bad couple of weeks.

2 Likes

I propose a new sentence for sandbaggers:

Play 10 games to scoring, where your opponent is a TPK!

Make it correspondence!!

Make itā€¦ slow correspondence!!!

1 Like

A couple stones? A few stones? Several stones? They are all different

I think you and I agree that a couple stones off is no big deal.

1 Like

I guess I would take action if itā€™s anything above the amount of stones that players generally swing, which is probably around 5 stones. I think someone around 3k strength can sometimes hit 1k or even 1d on a streak, and can also drop to 6k if theyā€™re having a bad week.

This is what I understand about the OP from this thread:

• Plays opening better than a 3k
  • Plays endgame worse than a 4k
  • Is 5k overall
  • Is not a sandbagger

So, no problem then.

3 Likes

Well ā€¦

Last year or so I scratched at 4k for ~24 hours, then I fell back to 5k ā€¦ then 6k ā€¦ then 7k ā€¦ then 8k, then rose back up to 7k, IIRC, and fell back again to 8k (where I still am currently), due to ā€¦

• a somewhat complicated and sometimes painful Real Life,
  • lack of ambition,
  • getting old faster than I had expected and agreed to,
  • etc., etc.

And, being totally bad at counting (some will say Iā€™m lazy, and then I will agree, but numbers/maths/arithmetics really arenā€™t my thing), I have also resigned games where the system afterwards told me that I was leading :man_shrugging:
I may also have forgotten to check the SE :man_shrugging:

And now ā€œthe meā€ is confused. Again, as so often.

ā€œAnyone who isnā€™t confused doesnā€™t really understand the situation.ā€
ā€” Edward R. Murrow

3 Likes