All new players should be ranked via bot

But everyone has to do it there’s nothing special about beginners. You sign up, the rating system gives you a default rank and a high deviation so it will adjust quickly based on your results, since it doesn’t know what to give you as a rank.

I don’t really expect beginners to know what rank they should be any more than a 4d on fox would know what rank to put themselves should they choose to start playing on OGS.

So really

could probably be rephrased as “why would the rating system have an issue with people declaring a far from correct rank or abitrary rank in general?”

I honestly don’t know.

I think @Vsotvep did some simulations which showed some rating drift and eventual settling with some different conditions

I do wonder what happens when you have thousands of players though but I haven’t tried to download the GitHub repository to test the real data.

I believe @flovo has more experience though with the rating system also. Is there any reason why all initial ratings are set to 1500 (or I guess it’s 1150 for us) for all players.

They also have some comments in the same thread Why does "restrict rank" allow ? players? - #80 by flovo

though I can’t remember exactly the conclusion reached.

I do remember previous posts about many users asking for ratings resets when they realised they picked the wrong starting rank.